04 February 2015

Poisoned Apple by Katherine McIntyre

 Snow White’s a goth and Prince Charming’s a jerk.

On Neve’s eighteenth birthday, her stepmother kicks her out. A group of diner rats offer her refuge—including Brendan, who offers his couch for her to crash on. But the more time she spends with him, the more he confuses her. One second, he’s kissing her. The next he’s pushing her away.

Believing her life has reached rock bottom, Neve struggles to ditch her “damaged girl” label. But when she uncovers the truth about her life, she’s rocked to her very foundation. Will Neve be able to hold on to the good things coming her way, or will her bad luck poison everything?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24104748-poisoned-apple?ac=1
I was really excited to read this book because I’ve read a few of the “remakes” of the classics and I have enjoyed them quite a bit.

But unfortunately that wasn’t really the case with this book.  I personally feel like if the author hadn’t started the blurb out with, “Snow White’s a goth and Prince Charming’s a jerk,” then I would have been able to enjoy it more.  But, like I said, I went into the story thinking that it was a remake.  I was really confused while I was reading the story because I did keep trying to find the connections between the classic and this new one, but I just don’t see it.

I felt like the characters were very unbelievable, and Neve was just… very unlikeable to me personally.  It came off like she really didn’t have any sense of safety for herself.  I will say that the blurb was correct about Brendan, he was a jerk.

Overall, I didn’t really enjoy this book but I will be sure to look into the author in the future.
Katherine McIntyre is an author of steampunk adventure, dark comedy, urban fantasy and paranormal romance stories. She splits her time writing and working the day job, but as for creative pursuits, she's dabbled in a little bit of everything. A modern day Renaissance-woman, she's learned soapmaking, beer brewing, tea blending and most recently roasting coffee. The one constant from a very young age was her passion for reading and writing. For more casual content, she’s a regular contributor on CaffeineCrew.com, a geek news website. With more imagination than she knows what to do with, writing proved to be the best outlet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment