12 February 2015

#Throwback: Conflict

***Content Warning - This is a new adult fiction with mature themes. It contains graphic sexual situations, mature language and explicit description of sexual violence.***
Conflict is the second book in the Control series. This description contains spoilers for those who have not read book one in the series, entitled Control.

Private Investigator, Paige Stone has always appreciated the independence of her life, however, her world was pitched upside down when she and her roommates were attacked and nearly killed. As a result of the attack by Chris, Paige now finds herself dependent upon Daemon Pierce for a place to live as she hides from Chris. Paige has never lived with a man before and demands that Daemon consider her a "roommate" only, even though it goes against her own desires.

Strong-willed and arrogant, Daemon Pierce has been working hard to protect Paige from Chris and from herself. Letting go of his life as a womanizer, Daemon tries to prove to Paige that she can trust him, even though he refuses to enlighten her as to his past. Daemon struggles to comply with Paige's ridiculous demand to be "roommates" and quickly finds that he has fallen in love with the girl who does nothing but push him away.

Paige's emotional journey once again places her in dangerous situations and when secrets are revealed and decisions are made, Paige has no choice but to look deep within herself to see if she can finally trust the man who will stop at nothing to save her.


Conflict is the continuation of Paige and Daemon’s story from Control. I have to say this now and be done with it (at least for this review) … Paige is an idiot. Don’t get me wrong because I really like her character. She’s a spitfire who refuses to let recent events pull her down. I loved that she channels her anger to move forward and that she continues to stand up for herself. BUT… the fact that a woman who is a private investigator is completely incapable of putting two and two together irritates me to no end. Her dreams harken back to her youth and she wonders – literally wonders – what her subconscious is trying to tell her. Even as she holds evidence of who Daemon is in the palm of her hand, she doesn’t … put it … together. I don’t think the universe could have given her a clearer sign as to who Daemon was and she still didn’t get it. It wasn’t until Daemon actually spoke the words out loud to her that she got it. Good grief! It’s frustrating because Paige is not a stupid woman – reckless, yes; stupid, no.

Yet despite this HUGE hole in Paige’s intelligence and judgment, I loved this book. Honestly it makes no sense to me how I can love Paige so much despite this oversight, yet I do. Nor does it make sense that I still continue to love the series to the point of addiction, but I do. Normally, my thinking that the main character is an idiot would translate into me not liking the book, yet Ms. Willis has managed to snare my attention and keeps me invested in Paige’s story so that I keep coming back for more. Granted, the fact that Daemon is sex-on-a-stick probably doesn’t hurt, but that alone is not enough to keep me invested in the characters. I must give credit where credit is due – the author. Ms. Willis has managed to craft a sequel that adds even more suspense, danger, romance, and freaking hot sex to an already exciting series. Conflict was a great addition to the Control series and I am looking forward to the next book, Conquer, to find out more about Daemon’s past, whether or not Paige continues making foolhardy decisions regarding her safety, just how mouthwateringly dominant Daemon is in the bedroom, and just how far Chris is going to take things before the cops catch him (and yes, by god, they better catch him).  Needless to say this is going to be a long week before I get to embark on the final leg of the journey. 

Amazon || B&N || Kobo

0 comments:

Post a Comment