19 December 2014

Life's Unexpected Gifts Release Day!

Violence has been part of Hallie Boudreaux’s life for too long. Deciding all men are barbaric abusers, she’s once again on the run away from danger. Desperate to feel safe, if even for a few days, Hallie remembers the only time she had felt truly happy in the last seven years were the summers spent at her Aunt Gina and Uncle Adam’s. Taking a chance her aunt might take her in, Hallie points her dilapidated car towards Corbin’s Bend, praying she makes it there before her clunker takes it’s last gasp.

Troy Jackson can’t wait to surprise his sister on her 30th birthday. He’s recently moved back to Colorado to be closer to his only relative, Traci, a psychologist living in Corbin’s Bend. The surprise is on Troy when his normally conscientious sister runs amok on her big birthday proving that even intelligent, independent women still need the stern guidance of the men in their lives. Having grown up with loving parents who practiced the domestic discipline way of life, both Traci and Troy subscribe to the founding principles of the Corbin’s Bend community wholeheartedly.

Hallie’s family is thrilled to have her in Corbin’s Bend, but can Hallie come to terms with living in a community based on its endorsement of spanking, a practice Hallie sees as abuse. Can Traci’s counseling help her overcome her fear in order to accept her new life in Corbin’s Bend, or is it Traci’s brother who ultimately has the power to show Hallie that not all men are abusers?
v
With this being the first book that I have read by Ms. Grant, I went into it with an open mind.  I did like the fact that the main female character, Hallie, was a survivor of abuse, because I thought that added a really good twist on her learning about Corbin’s Bend.  It was very interesting because we were really learning about the community from an outsider’s perspective. 
I did like how Ms. Grant had Troy introduce Hallie into the spanking world; it wasn’t an instant thing, but he waited for her to say what she wanted before he showed her what spanking was about.
Now to the things that I didn’t really like about the story.  I didn’t like the military aspect of the story – not because I don’t enjoy military books, because I do, but because I was a bit disappointed in the fact that it seemed like there wasn’t a lot of research taken into the military workings.  For instance, Troy made Captain at a young 34, when in reality 34 is old to become a captain unless they were prior enlisted, which there was NO mention of Troy being enlisted.
Another thing was that when Hallie acted up during the Christmas party, there was no discipline given to her at all.  I felt like even though she hadn’t consented to being spanked, there were other forms of discipline she could have had to do to make amends for it.
Despite all of that though, I did still like the story to the point where I will be sure to read more from the author in the future.
Troy grabs her hand, holding it in his own while they size each other up. He slowly moves their joined hands to place her palm onto his now raging hard-on. Hallie’s eyes dilate, turning from green to almost black with veiled lust.
 “This is what you do to me, Hallie. I’ve pretty much had this problem since I kissed you under that damn mistletoe on Christmas Eve. Three damn days I’ve been walking around, telling myself you’re too young for me. Telling myself you’re too innocent. Too afraid of a DD lifestyle. That you’ll freak out the first time I try to spank that beautiful ass of yours. I’ve come up with at least twenty reasons why falling for you is a bad idea, but in the end, it doesn’t matter. I want you, Hallie Boudreaux and I’m going to be patient and take my time proving to you that you should want me too.”
He’s done it. Laid all of his cards on the table. He hadn’t even made it two damn hours alone with her. He holds his breath, praying he didn’t just make the biggest mistake of his life.
She never does answer him. At least not with words. Hallie catapults forward into his arms with a groan. Troy captures her mouth in what is easily the most passionate kiss of his life.
It’s full of emotion and promise. They lose themselves in the moment until their waitress clears her throat next to their table. They pull out of their kiss reluctantly. “I’m really sorry to interrupt, but there is a family nearby that has complained about your… well... They’d appreciate it if you could get back to eating your breakfast.”
Troy and Hallie both burst out laughing. “Yeah, sure. We’ll behave ourselves.”
“Thank you.”
When she’s gone, Troy reaches out to tuck a stray strand of blonde hair behind Hallie’s ear. “Oh Hallie, you’re dangerous.”
“That’s my line.”

 Season 1:

  Season 2:

0 comments:

Post a Comment