28 August 2013

Affaire de Coeur, By Stephanie O'Hanlon

"An unforgettable romance in the most scandalous of eras in history."

"Paris, May 1770, in the midst of aristocracy, country girl Madeleine Dumont is privileged to partake in social events while living with her friend Colette du Lorme, daughter of a Marquis. While following in the shadow of her popular and socially verse friend, she finds herself caught up with her infatuation with a
man, a Comte. Lucien de Laurent, one of King Louis XV's favourite and established bachelor, as well as social recluse.

But how does a woman win sucha man without playing the game?"

I’m not usually a fan of historical romance, but I have to admit that I have a bit of an obsession with 18th Century France.  It all just seems so opulent…before the revolution, in the time of Marie Antoinette.  Fascinating.  In this respect, I found this book to be quite enjoyable.


This is the story of Madeleine.  A wallflower from a lower class that has a benefactor in her friend Colette, she meets the reclusive Lucien de Laurent.  They meet at a party, have an instant attraction to one another, but have a difficult time coming together without all the gossip, scandals and difference in their social status getting in their way.  

I just found the setting of this book to be really interesting.  I loved the descriptions of what they wore, how the household functioned…and I thought that Colette was hilarious.  She was the main source of entertainment for me in this book, as I found Lucien a bit soporific and Madeleine not entirely that engaging either.  The plot was a bit predictable, but I think the setting and the intrigue of life at that time made up for it.  I think if you love historical romances, then this book is for you!  I give it 3.5 stars!


0 comments:

Post a Comment