18 August 2013

Morgan Jane Spotlight!!

Vampires and Zombies.. What more could you want from a book???

We get to spend some time with Morgan Jane Mitchell, author of a new Vampire series Sanguis City!



Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

A former political blogger and freelance writer, now I am writing a paranormal romance/ urban fantasy series. I live in central Kentucky beside a lake on what is soon to be a mini-farm with my husband, three sons, three cats and a greyhound. Always finding an outlet for my creative juices, I quilt, knit, paint and make almost anything I can dream up or learn to on youtube. For the last few years I have been dreaming up the world of Sanguis City.


When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

It is funny how people grow up and forget things about themselves. Not until being interviewed lately, having to contemplate the amount of books I have read and when I started writing, have I realized that writing has always been a part of me.

I started writing in my early childhood, I would write poetry, songs and stories. In first grade, I wrote and made a cover for a book that was displayed in the local library called The Weather Machine, I suppose that would be my first book. When I met my husband in 1998 he was publishing a poetry magazine called The Schizoid. I wrote many poems and shorts at that time in my life. I also read and reviewed many of the works we published. I have been blogging and writing freelance articles for a good ten years and had forgotten all about fiction until I found fan fiction. My first real book, Sanguis City started as an idea in 2009 and I started writing more on it in November of 2012. I finished it in May 2013 but can't leave it alone while it is being edited. It will be truly finished when I hit publish the week of July 29th.
(Sanguis City has been released since this interview was completed!!)


Which comes first? The character's story or the idea for the novel?

It is usually the idea for the story, but with Sanguis City it grew out of the character Noir's story. I wrote her first in Sanguis City and then envisioned her back story in the Prequels.


What was your muse?

I spent a good part of my life blogging and doing freelance work that required me to watch C-Span and read non-fiction. When I quit that, cold turkey, I read Anita Blake Vampire Hunter and was hooked on fun sexy books. After I digested every paranormal romance and urban fantasy I could find, I started reading and writing fan fiction. Books like TheSouthern Vampire Mysteries inspired me to write my own works because I enjoyed playing with that world and received fabulous reviews saying I should write my own novel. Fan fiction was my muse for Sanguis City because I would have never known that I could write twisty plots and steamy love scenes if I didn't spend years playing in other peoples gardens. And what can I say, I love paranormal fiction!


How many books do you have published right now?

The Education of Lilanoir Rue and My Name is Noir are two prequels that are already out. Sanguis City will be published July 29, 2013.


Can you tell us about your upcoming books?

I could copy and paste the blurb but I am going to try and wing it!

Lilanoir is a girl who is thrown out of her home on the Human Reservation because she has fangs. She makes her way to Sanguis City, a city made for and by vampires. Humans have been flocking there since The End to sell there blood for a chance to live in peace. Did I mention that the reason the world ended was because an elixir that sold to the highest bidder was bought up by the rich, turning the most powerful people into vampires? Well, Lilanoir wasn't born until after all that. She is a side affect like other Bleeders. The Bleeders have various vampire traits, fangs they can't put away but can walk in the sun. They also get to run the city while the vampires sleep all day and live the high life at night. Noir has a troubled past but she never thought it would cause her any trouble. That is until she meets and falls in love with Professor Aubrey, an Authentic vampire. Noir's uncovers secrets more than her own and some secrets won't stay dead.

Did I mention zombies... there are some zombies too. ;)


What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

Nothing, yet... I hope when Sanguis City comes out I can still say the same :) But I have had hate mail while writing fan fiction. And that hurts because it's free, I don't get paid for that! The people didn't like that my story had the same adult themes as the books they were based on.


What has been the best compliment?

Since I haven't had a lot of reviews for my own work, I would have to say that my husband really liking my stories is the best compliment. I know he is a tough critic and seeing him give me the same reactions that some of my fan fiction fans have given me but about my original works gives me all the confidence I need.



What was the hardest part to write in the book(s)?

When I went back and wrote prequels to my book, short stories about the main characters life, that was tough. I hadn't planned on it so it was a challenge. The Education of Lilanoir Rue was a challenge for me because I tried to show two different parts of Lily and it was not my usual writing style.


What is one question that you are never asked in interviews?

Who is my favorite Vampire? Answer : Eric Northman!   
(I would sooooooo fight her for him!!!!)


What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?

Paranormal/ Urban Fantasy is my favorite. I never limit myself when it comes to reading, I will read anything if it sounds interesting.


What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?

Write and give it away for free for a while and see if people like it. If people like your work, self publish! If you are good, you will be noticed by a publisher and if you are so so, at least you are out there!



What was your life like before becoming an author?

I was up to my elbows in organic gardening and doing fun activities with my three boys all summer. Now I am editing a book!

 
(The pictures above are from Morgan's Garden!!)

What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?

I think when someone says, “I don't read”, in response to me telling them I'm an author and they proceed to act like it is a waste of time. Some people just aren't interested in books they'll say, but then they want to tell me about their favorite show, movie or play. That's when I remind them that everything is based on a book, play or screen written. They usually perk up after that and respect my chosen field a little more.


How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

I haven't had a bad review yet on my own work, but I have had “meh” reviews. I can understand that some people are just not going to be excited about a short novella. Especially when they haven't read the main book yet. To be honest, I second guess myself and fret. I look at everything else the person has reviewed... and then I see they gave 3 stars to The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones too and then I am relieved that I am as good as that! When I get a bad review, I will die a little and grow thicker skin, I hope.



Name one funny trait you have, that you would like others to know.

 I giggle! I giggle practically all the time. If you have ever met some one that seems like they are laughing when they talk, that's me!


What internet site do you surf to the most?

I am constantly on Twitter! Goodreads is next, I am always looking for something to read.



You win a million dollars, but you have to give half to a charity. Which charity do you pick, and what do you do with the rest of the money?

I would give the money to St. Jude's Children'sHospital and then I would pay off my house and I owe my husband a Delorean (yes, like from Back to the Future)



What is the wallpaper on your computer?

I had to look. Autumn leaves... and it is summer time! I quit personalizing my workspace long ago just because I have been attached to a computer for so long, it all gets old.




What did you want to be when you grew up?

I went to college as a Pre-Med student. It was a very realist possibility for my future at the time with my grades and abilities but I am not sure if I truly ever wanted to be a doctor. When I was very young I had dreams of being a writer or an artist. It's nice to not have to file child like dreams away, after all they are the best ones. Looking back now I can't believe I am doing something I discarded so long ago.


If you could change one thing in the world, in the blink of an eye, what would it be?

Whatever evil, that lives in the hearts of people who harm other people or animals, would disappear.
(I completely agree with this!!!!)


What's the most blatant lie you've ever told?

I'm fine.” I usually don't say a thing if I am truly upset or hurt.



Do you go out of your way to kill bugs? Are there any that make you screech and hide?

I used to never kill bugs, I even taught my kids that we would just put the bug outside. You know, everything has a right to live and such. But now I just kill the darn things! Actually, if there is a real scary one I tell my thirteen year old to go kill it for me. We recently discovered three black widows in our garage. Yes, I screeched and ran. Now I have been letting my house get junked up since I won't store anything in the garage until it is bug bombed.


How would you describe yourself in three words?

Bibliophile, True, Goofball



Why are manhole covers round?

Because Reuleaux triangles suck...

Have you ever gone out in public with your shirt on backwards, or your slippers on, and when realizing it, just said screw it?

Yes, I have! I was just in Walmart and realized I could see my blue bra through my shirt and said, who cares, at Walmart your lucky if people wear a bra or a whole shirt for that matter.


Exercise or Bubble Bath? 
Bubble bath!
Favorite Color? 
Purple
Camping or Hotel? 
Camping
Dogs or Cats? 
Both
Favorite Song? 
Blood Roses by Tori Amos
Favorite Movie? 
I love Funny Girl
Favorite Car? 
VW Karma Ghia
Favorite Lotion smell? 
(Random I know but that can tell a lot about a person!) 
Victoria Secret Pear
Favorite book of all time? 



Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

I am dedicating my book Sanguis City to all my fan fiction readers. They love the lemons and I am making pure lemon-aid in this book. (Inside fan fiction joke) Seriously, their reviews and encouragement is why I chose to publish my work. To all my new readers, bloggers, and fellow authors, you have been wonderful. I couldn't have dreamed up a more supportive atmosphere to work in. Thank you all!


Morgan's Links:




0 comments:

Post a Comment