02 September 2013

How to Discipline Your Vampire, By Mina Vaughn

In this exciting paranormal erotic romance, a dominant schoolteacher with a serious role-play fetish finds the perfect submissive in an infamous vampire lover.
Cerise Norrell, Type A substitute teacher by day, is ready to quit being a domme. Despite her best intentions, none of her partners can keep up with her scene fetish and attention to detail—let alone her demand that they have a costume and set waiting every afternoon by the time she’s home from school.

Over a dozen potential subs have left her in the past year, but just when Cerise thinks it’s impossible—that she’ll have to go back to vanilla relationships, or be alone forever—she meets William, who wants to make all her fantasies come true. He turns her home into a geisha’s dream apartment, a concert hall with a grand piano (which he uses to play an original composition while wearing a tuxedo), and even rents an abandoned loft for a zombie apocalypse scene—complete with canned goods.

But there’s something strange about William. Well, a lot of strange things. He must be absurdly rich, since he can afford to provide extravagant costumes and props on a daily basis without having to leave work early. He must be insane, since he puts up with Cerise’s over-the-top demands. And most importantly, he doesn’t redden when he’s spanked, and his skin is as cool as satin sheets. When Cerise discovers she’s become dome to the infamous “Chilly Willy,” as he’s known throughout the BDSM urban lore, she begins to find out there’s a whole lot more to her handsome submissive than a creative mind and a hard body.

And when it’s William, ironically, who starts pressing Cerise to give him the kind of commitment she’s never given anyone, it’ll take everything she has to work through her issues, confront her past, and learn to be vulnerable.

So wow. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think about this book and the story that went along with it. When you take an erotica book, with how many of them are out on the market these days, there needs to be a twist in them to make them stand out. That is what happens in this book on many different levels.


The first thing that I completely enjoyed about this book was that even though it was a BDSM book, there is a DOMME in it! It's not just a male Dom who has a female sub, in this book the roles are completely reversed. Which was great for me because it gets tiresome reading the same type of books over and over. Another thing that I enjoyed was that this book shows there is more to the whips and chains in a D/s relationship.


Right from the start I could tell that there was something up with Cerise's character. She seemed to be settling and left wanting for more. Something that she couldn't seem to find even though she was constantly looking for it. One of the things that upset me with her character was how we had to wait so long to find out what had happened to her that caused her to become the way that she was.


William's character was very down to earth, you could tell what he wanted and how he was afraid he would never find it. Throughout the book we learn a little bit more about him, his past and what made him who he was today. I completely enjoyed the fact that even though he is a vampire, that doesn't take over the story. We spend time getting to know him for him, not just because he drinks blood.


All in all, I did enjoy reading this book and I would completely recommend this book to friends who enjoy reading this genre.


B&N

Some time with Mina :)
I Like It Aurally
By, Mina Vaughn

Ok, for me, words can’t be written without music to motivate me.  When I was writing How to Discipline Your Vampire, there were tons of songs that reminded me of the characters and actually shaped their arcs and sometimes even dialogue.

Just before the book was released on August 19, an idea hit me: share the music that inspired me in a playlist!  I gathered together some help from my Twitter friends and they pointed me towards GrooveShark.  It’s a great website where you can put together playlists.  Anyway, I found one song to correspond with each chapter and, voila, the How to Discipline Your Vampire Playlist was born!  http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/How+To+Discipline+Your+Vampire/89384800
 
I noticed a few trends once I had put the songs into place… I was heavily influenced in particular by Lady Gaga’s The Fame Monster album.  The themes of sexy, dangerous men were pretty instrumental (pun intended) when writing.  Anyway, I thought I’d point to a few songs in particular and discuss why they helped me.

Teeth by Lady Gaga was huge for me.  It was basically talking about a hot guy and how she wanted him to show her his fangs.  Hello!  Can you say perfect?  Also, this story had a great fan video set to that song.  I can’t hear that sexy beat without thinking of William.  Show me your teeth, baby!
 
Blood, Sex and Booze by Green Day is also perfect because, aside from the booze, that’s what this story’s about!  The song is about a guy strapped to a chair with a harsh Mistress punishing him.  Jeez, could it get any more perfect!  If anyone wants to make a fan video with this song… I wouldn’t complain.  ;)
 
Either Way by Guster is just one of those songs that emotionally punches me in the gut.  The lyrics are just sharp and sad and it really makes me think of Cerise and her trust issues.  She’s so frightened of love because of the hurt she has felt, and this song just makes me ache.  Love it.
 
A Stroke of Luck by Garbage is an old song that still makes my imagination smolder.  I love how ominous and creepy yet totally sexy it is. The first time I heard it, I was a huge Buffy fan and it made me think of Angel.  Actually, I’m pretty sure when I heard it I wanted to write something angsty and vamp-ish.  Who knew years later I’d have vampire romance written and then credit this song.  Crazy! 
 
Anyway, those are the top songs from my How to Discipline Your Vampire playlist.  Do you like writing to music?  Whose songs or lyrics influence you?  Thanks, Crystal, for having me on your blog! 
Kink with a wink! Mina Vaughn is an international woman of mystery and a shoe whore with a heart of gold. When she's not writing her unique brand of silly smut, she's plundering Sephora for any pin up girl makeup she can find. Mina's debut novel, an erotic comedy entitled How to Discipline Your Vampire is about a punishment-seeking vampire who meets a quirky Domme with a serious role play fetish, coming out August 19, 2013 from Simon and Schuster's Pocket Star.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful review, and thanks for having me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and I love the book cover - I'm adding this to my wish list (AKA, in my house, as the "bribe mom" list)

    ReplyDelete