02 October 2013

The Girlfriend, By Abigail Barnette

Unemployed, blacklisted, and pregnant, Sophie Scaife’s life is totally upside down. Her relationship with publishing magnate Neil Elwood is on the rocks. Her best friend’s career is igniting. And Sophie is afraid she’ll make one of the toughest decisions of her life alone…

When a devastating diagnosis forces Neil to return to London, Sophie throws caution to the wind to follow her heart across the Atlantic. Keeping a scorching D/s affair as red-hot in sickness as it was in health is a challenge, even for two lovers as inventive as Sophie and Neil. But Sophie is more than willing to try anything her Sir commands, and their fantasies of control become a welcome refuge from the daily stress of illness.

While Neil’s wealth and privilege make adjusting to her new situation easier, Sophie finds herself rebuilding her life around an uncertain future. And while both of them face the changes between them head-on, they’re all too aware that their happiness may be fleeting—and Sophie could lose Neil forever.

I have to say, there were some parts of this book that I didn’t agree with, but I won’t hold that against my ratings for this book; to each their own.  Ok now that I have that off my chest, onto what I think of the book.
With the way that The Boss ended, I was completely confused as to what I wanted to happen next!! Oh my gosh that hardly ever happens to me when it comes to reading a sequel.  But I have to say I completely enjoyed this book!  Like I said earlier, there were some parts that I didn’t enjoy, but then there were other parts where I had tears in my eyes and was so upset I had to stop reading for a bit.  Just to calm down.  

I will say this though; Sophie grew up A LOT in this book, at least to me.  She was willing to put her life on hold to be with Neil while he was going through everything.  Now honestly, how many people would do that?  Not a lot and I know this because I have been through something similar.  The things that Sophie went through in this story were very lifelike, to the point where I was left wondering if the author had been through this before that’s how she was able to write it so well.

Everything that happened in this book is there for a reason.  There weren’t a lot of extra words that were just thrown in there to take up space.  This book was even better written than The Boss was.  All the questions that you have after reading the first book are completely answered in this book.  While I don’t usually want more books to come, I was left wanting to know more about Sophie and Neil!

Overall, this is another must read from me!



0 comments:

Post a Comment