23 February 2014

Push the Envelope by Rochelle Paige

Alexa is just your average college junior, attending classes and piloting Mile High Club charter flights. Boys haven't been on her radar for a couple years after a disastrous breakup with her high school sweetheart. Her plans to focus on school hit a bit of a snag when she meets bad-boy Drake Bennett and he sets his sights on making her his own.

Drake transferred to Blythe College for the rugby team, not for a new assortment of college girls. He's sexy and cocky, and he attracts women like moths to a flame. When he meets Alexa, Drake knows he's met his match. She tries to resist him, but Drake isn't used to taking no for an answer.

This does not have a cliffhanger.

Warning: 18+ due to sexual content
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18634579-push-the-envelope
I really wanted to enjoy this book but just found that I could not get into it at all. Alexa is a junior in college and has only had one boyfriend and he broke her heart. She goes to college and is roommates with her best friend, Aubrey and Aubrey's brother Jackson is also at the same college. It sounds like a lot of characters but they were pretty well developed so easy to keep track of. Alexa meets Drake very early on in the book and it seems like they keep accidentally meeting up over the course of the next 24 hours. The culmination of their meetings is when Alexa and her father were chartered to fly Drake home for his mother's birthday party. 
Here is where the book went downhill for me. Everything was just so cliché it drove me nuts. The instant Drake saw her of course he fell for her and made it apparent he meant to have her. If that dude said most of the things he said to her almost as soon as meeting her, I wouldn't be getting a relationship with him, I would be getting a restraining order. I think they tried to make Drake an alpha but to me he just seemed really creepy and a bit of a douche bag. I mean after one day he is already so possessive of her and demanding about her intentions with other guys.
"Let me finish, babe. I need to get this out and on the table. For the first time ever, I didn't want to follow the rule. I wanted you with me and not him. I had to watch you walk away with him, up the stairs to his room, I spent the rest of the night pissed the f*ck off, imagining what you guys were doing in his room. I left the party and stayed away so that I wouldn't knock his door down to get to you"
Seriously, he HAD JUST MET HER THAT NIGHT!
The killer part was that she sensed something was off at the beginning and yet just went right along falling head over heels for him.
"I knew my tone was getting snippy but I didn't feel like he had any right to question my perfectly innocent friendship with Jackson"
And of course the sex was mind-blowing between them and they did all sorts of stuff. If she had only been with one person, I have a hard time believing that after her and Drake were together for such a short time she would be confident enough or experienced enough to be comfortable with all the stuff they did. And another cliché but he told her to come, and guess what? She did, on command! I need to learn that trick! So after hearing how incredibly happy they are for 85% of the book we finally get to the drama part which was easily avoidable and explainable if they had ever had a conversation in the beginning of their relationship. It just seemed rather trite to me and was very short lived. And of course, afterwards the makeup sex was incredible. *insert eye roll here*
So while this book wasn't exactly my cup of tea, the writing was solid, the characters were well developed, and there were no grammatical or spelling errors that I could find. The book was very well edited. I also loved that Alexa and her father had such a great relationship even though her mother wasn't in the picture. We see so many books where the mom is the shoulder to cry on but that isn't how it always is. Having my father raise me, I could totally relate to her on that.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE4J1WI/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00HE4J1WI&linkCode=as2&tag=crysmanrev-20     http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/push-the-envelope-rochelle-paige/1117740564?ean=2940148866312

0 comments:

Post a Comment