25 April 2014

Like Clockwork Tour Stop!


When a beautiful young woman is found murdered on Cape Town's Sea Point promenade, journalist and part-time police profiler Dr. Clare Hart is drawn into the web of a brutal serial killer. As more bodies are discovered, Clare is forced to revisit the brutal rape of her twin sister and the gang ties that bind Cape Town's dark crime rings. Is her investigation into human trafficking linked to the murders, or is the killer just playing a sick game with her?

Like Clockwork is a dark and compelling crime story that will thrill fans of Deon Meyer and Tess Gerritsen.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18780749-like-clockwork

I saw this was a mystery/thriller and had to do with girls being sold into slavery (which reminded me a lot of my fondness for dark romance books) and thought I could kill two birds with one stone with this one.
In this book we meet Dr. Clare Hart and Detective Reidwaan Faizal who are brought together again when a young girl is found murdered brutally in Cape Town. They both believe it is the work of a serial killer and team up to solve it. They have both had troubled pasts and careers so we learn a ton of their back story.
I guess what I failed to realize when I requested this one is that it is a part of an ongoing series. I was pretty lost for a lot of the book as far as the back story. This is not the authors fault obviously as I should have done my research better. The other issue I had with the book is that it was set in South Africa and a lot of the words are obviously slang that is used there. I had a hard time following along with some of the conversations. The mystery however was great and I loved reading as it unfolded. it was pretty dark, which I obviously loved. While I enjoyed this book, due to the difficulty of being able to follow the conversations and cultures, I don't feel I will go back and start from the beginning. If this is a genre you enjoy however, I do recommend you read them, but read them in order.

Like Clockwork is a full on mystery with crimes to be solved, secrets to be exposed and baggage to be left in the past.  While I felt the mystery part of the story was well done, it lacked the ability to let me try to figure out the crime for myself.  In this midst of this crime, we deal with a documentary regarding human trafficking, a serial killer and Clare Hart’s sister being a holder of some truths that will help her sister.  There were so many side stories it was hard to stay focused on the case itself.
Clare Hart is not only a journalist and documentary creator; she is a profiler for the police.  While doing her documentary she may have stumbled on information that will help solves the serial killer case, or maybe the answers will come from her sister who lives in isolation after being traumatized many years ago.
Her friend and part time lover, Captain Riedwaan Faizal is willing to take any help before another young girl is found dead.  We never find the history between these two but we see that there must be something very strong keeping them in each other’s lives.  Time is running out for the Cape Town police and as discoveries begin to occur the facts regarding the crime become more dark and sinister.
The characters were good but there seemed to be a wall between them and the reader that didn’t allow full connection.  The mystery was well thought out and very interesting, leaving us wondering if we will get all of the answers in the next book.  The topics in this book is very hard to read about and will leave you feeling more down than interested about the crimes and trying to figure out the solution but I think it is good for everyone to read something this realistic often.     
MARGIE ORFORD is an award-winning journalist who has been dubbed the Queen of South African Crime Fiction. Her novels have been translated into nine languages. She was born in London and grew up in Namibia. A Fulbright Scholar, she was educated in South Africa and the United States. She is Executive Vice-President of South African PEN, the patron of Rape Crisis and of the children’s book charity, the Little Hands Trust. She lives in Cape Town. T he entire Clare Hart series is forthcoming from Witness.


0 comments:

Post a Comment