19 May 2014

The Devil's Salvation by Gemma James

It's been a year since Kayla Sutton walked away from Gage Channing, the man who blackmailed her into sexual slavery. Now he's back, and so is Ian Kaplan, Kayla's one-time lover from her college days. Both men want her, but only one holds the power to make her submit—to her own dark desires and to the truth she still denies, even to herself.

But Gage's jealousy is his worst enemy, and when he thinks Kayla has chosen Ian, he sets in motion a drastic plan to claim what's his. Only Kayla never expects him to infiltrate her heart so effortlessly; and she never dreamed there would come a day when he wouldn't want her—when the mere sight of her turns him away in disgust.

He believes she’s committed the ultimate sin, but will she use his mistake to finally escape the cage of his obsession? Or will she do whatever it takes to make him see he can entrust his heart to her...just as she's already lost the core of her being to him?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18526615-the-devil-s-salvation


"....the past was a foggy recollection of pain intermingled with pleasure so hot it had branded me all those months ago."

Ahhhh, I just love my dark romance. On that note however, as far as being dark, this one fell just a bit short for me. I will say that I HIGHLY recommend you read The Devil's Kiss Trilogy before this one or else I fear you would be rather lost. This one starts approximately one year after the ending of the trilogy. Kayla has ran away and put herself into hiding hoping to not be found and start over fresh with her daughter. She has went back to her normal life although she still craves Gage's punishment.

"Nothing had ever felt so wrong but so right, so painful yet unbelievably good, and nothing and no one existed in that moment except Gage Channing."

(DO NOT READ PAST HERE IF YOU HAVE NOT READ The Devil's Kiss Trilogy AS THERE ARE ~*~*~*~*SPOILERS~*~*~*~*~

Imagine Kayla's surprise when Gage Channing shows up at her doorstep all these months later. She thought he had given up on her and yet knew there had to be a reason he had stayed away all this time. And then, of course, Ian follows behind not too long after begging for one more chance. This is another one of those stories that makes me wonder if her vagina is made of gold. I mean, two brothers, desperately craving the same woman. But, then we are thrown a curve ball in finding out that Gage originally went after her for reasons other than attraction.

"You did it," I said. "You destroyed me. But I'm not his anymore, so I guess that means you destroyed what was yours instead."

So of course we get the drama that tears them apart and go through the drama of them both figuring out what they did wrong and where they failed each other. I won't totally spoil it for you and let you figure that out. Let's just say, it is one that you want to jump in the book and smack both of them and make them open their eyes to what they are not seeing. While writing this review, I have actually raised my rating of the book. Writing this has brought back all the emotion that this brought out to me and I think I am enjoying rehashing it immensely and wanting someone to chat with about it. We see a softer side to Gage in this story which was definitely a nice turn and almost makes you want to forgive him for his behavior in the first three books. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys books with a BDSM influence and a bit of a darker romance with a super alpha male.
Gemma James (a pseudonym for Christina Jean Michaels) loves to explore the darker side of sex in her fiction. She's morbidly curious about anything dark and edgy and enjoys exploring the deviant side of human nature. Her stories have been described as being "not for the faint of heart."

She lives with her husband and their four children--three rambunctious UFC/wrestling-loving boys and one girl who steals everyone's attention.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment