23 August 2014

Guarded Desires by Morticia Knight

 A sexy young National Guardsman, a snarky bear of a DEA Agent and a vicious Mexican drug cartel. Someone’s going to be sorry.

Special Agent Stephen Morris thought his home life had settled into a pleasantly dull routine. Hanging out in his yard and barbequing is a typical weekend for the brawny mid-thirties man—and his partner Rigo from the DEA office is usually there with his family to keep him company. Being assigned to a main border crossing in Nogales, Arizona, keeps him busy enough at work, so he doesn’t have time to worry about love. However, that doesn’t mean he’s not lonely.

Twenty-two year old PFC Guardsman, Joseph Pirelli, is on an active-duty-for-training mission to help support border patrol and the DEA. The Vasquez drug cartel has become even more vicious than ever—going so far as to target civilians on both sides of the border. Joseph and Stephen are thrown together in a direct conflict with the cartel and a part of Joseph’s dark past is revealed.

Joseph is incredibly attracted to Stephen, even though he doesn’t typically go for older men. He longs to find love, but is still recuperating from an abusive past. The idea of becoming close to a man who could physically harm him brings up fears that may ruin his chances at any kind of relationship with the big teddy bear agent.

Sometimes love shows up when you aren’t looking for it and gives you a chance you shouldn’t ignore. Both men will have the opportunity to wonder what it would be like to lose the other and to decide what they’re willing to risk to be together.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20695338-guarded-desires?ac=1

First off, I should say that even though this is book 4 in the series, it can be read as a standalone!  I haven’t read the books before this one, but I didn’t feel lost or confused about anything happening during the story.
Now, onto the story!  I was actually shocked at how much I enjoyed this story because I’m not the type of reader who is all about the uniforms.  I enjoyed the characters that Ms. Knight used in this book because they were very likeable and realistic.  They didn’t feel like characters that have been used many times in the past, instead they were like a breath of fresh air in the reading world.
The storyline was one that did catch my attention because it’s not something that I read a lot of times. I enjoyed the twists and turns that there were because of the drug cartel, and I liked the twists that were concerning the relationship starting between Joseph and Stephen. There was enough suspense happening throughout the story on many different levels that it did keep my attention throughout it all and I couldn’t put it down.
Once again, Ms. Knight does show her skill in creating an amazing story because the twists that she used were some that caught me completely off guard! I was not expecting the things to happen that did.  I give Ms. Knight mad props about being able to bring me into the story so deeply that I couldn’t even wrap my head around the ending until after reading it several times.
Overall, I have to say that if you enjoy reading this genre, then you should really check this book out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment