15 October 2014

Debt Inheritance by Pepper Winters

 “I own you. I have the piece of paper to prove it. It’s undeniable and unbreakable. You belong to me until you’ve paid off your debts.”

Nila Weaver’s family is indebted. Being the first born daughter, her life is forfeit to the first born son of the Hawks to pay for sins of ancestors past. The dark ages might have come and gone, but debts never leave. She has no choice in the matter.

She is no longer free.

Jethro Hawk receives Nila as an inheritance present on his twenty-ninth birthday. Her life is his until she’s paid off a debt that’s centuries old. He can do what he likes with her—nothing is out of bounds—she has to obey.

There are no rules. Only payments.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21400356-debt-inheritance?from_search=true

I really liked Pepper’s other books, so I’m wondering if this was a case where maybe I expected too much.  I’m still not ready to write this story off completely but for me, this was not a promising start.
Nila Weaver (and I’m sorry, I just kept thinking Nilla Wafer as I was reading this story) is the first born daughter in her family and as such her life is forfeit and she must be given to the firstborn son of the family to which her ancestors are indebted. So, on his 29th birthday, Jethro Hawk receives Nila as his, he now owns her. She has to do whatever he says whenever he says it. 
So…a few complaints.  First, I actually like romance in my dark romance.  There was no romance in this book.  Honestly, I didn’t even get an inkling that Jethro does or will in the future care about Nila at all.  The ways in which he allows her to be abused are really inexcusable.  I mean, I understand it’s a debt passed down through generations but the relationship is not right.  I mean, it’s not even a dominant/submissive relationship because Jethro clearly has no respect for Nila as a person.  With the heroes in these books I really need something to hold onto.  ONE redeeming quality would be nice.  Jethro has none.  He’s immature and cruel, and Nila is naïve and vapid.  As characters, I just couldn’t get into them at all, nor could I begin to understand their motivations.
The plot of this book had promise in the beginning, but truly it just got more absurd the further it got.  I understand this is part of a series and I will read the next one, hoping against hope that there is something here to grasp on to that resembles the genre I was lead to believe it was.  As it stands, it seemed to me like 200+ pages of misogyny and abuse.  Not cool.  And honestly, the way it was written seemed just very overworked to me.  The descriptions were heavy and seem unnecessary.  It was like an attack of the adjectives.  It was all just too much.
I hate to say it, but I did not enjoy this book.  I was actually really disappointed.  I, of course, hope that the next book is an improvement, but as it stands now, this was a 2 star read for me.

Pepper Winters wears many roles. Some of them include writer, reader, sometimes wife. She loves dark, taboo stories that twist with your head. The more tortured the hero, the better, and she constantly thinks up ways to break and fix her characters. Oh, and sex... her books have sex.
She loves to travel and has an amazing, fabulous hubby who puts up with her love affair with her book boyfriends.

Her Dark Erotica books include:

Her Grey Romance books include:

0 comments:

Post a Comment