29 November 2014

Saving Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

 Beckett Taylor’s quest to be a better man has brought Eve Hartt back into his life, but sometimes it feels like they’re bound together with barbed wire. Though he longs to love her without causing pain, the wreckage of their past continues to crash down around them.

Yet with the help of this brothers—and for his brothers—Beckett won’t stop trying. He’s determined to make them all a family, to make a life they want to live, and to make Poughkeepsie a place that’s safe to live it.

He can feel their futures balanced precariously on his shoulders: Blake and Livia and their children, Cole and Kyle and the new baby they’ve just brought home, and Eve…always Eve. He wants their dreams to be real. But murderers don’t just get Happily Ever After handed to them. They have to wrench it away from Satan himself.

Good thing Beckett is prepared to do just that. After all, saving Poughkeepsie is the only way his story ends.

Prepare your heart and your head for a wild ride in this final installment of the Poughkeepsie Brotherhood series. Debra Anastasia does not disappoint as she weaves the last chapter of a story that blends true love, turbulent emotions, and life’s harsh realities into an uplifting tale that calls to the good in each of us.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20484193-saving-poughkeepsie
As a fan of the first two books in this series, it goes without saying I was waiting not so patiently for this installment of the series. It was well worth the wait!  If you’ve never read this series, you’re really missing out.  If you’ve read the first two, then read on because Oh. Em. Gee.
Beckett has struggled in the first two books to really find a place, I think.  In this one, he wants he and Eve and his brothers with their families to all be happy and safe and most importantly, together.  But others will not let that be an easy task.  Can they all make it to the end together?
I have to say that, hands down, Beckett is my favorite character in this series.  I mean, Blake will always have a place in my heart because he’s Blake!  But Beckett is one of my favorite types of characters because you should not like him.  He should not dig out a little place in your heart.  You should not want him to get what he wants because he’s not, really, been a bastion of good decisions or even treated others well.  But Beckett loves, and he loves fiercely, and that really topples your defenses after a while and makes you just LOVE him, and want him to get everything he wants.  Of the 3 brothers, I think Beckett is the one who did all the dirty work.  He’s not a bad person, but his life has led him to make some morally ambiguous choices.  I don’t really think that’s his fault.  He’s the best.  And while I wasn’t really sure how things were going to turn out for him and Eve, Debra really makes it work and I was so happy with where they ended up.  It worked.
I just think this is a very well-written and well thought out series.  It’s gritty, but also heartwarming and touching in a way that few books are.  I had a lot of hopes riding on this book and I was not unhappy with the results.  It’s a rollercoaster of a book, and I was biting my nails and reading as fast as I could.  Such a great conclusion to a series that will definitely always remain one of my faves.  5 stars.
Abso-freaking-lutely perfect! I have spent the last three days with the brothers of Poughkeepsie and as I finished each book I couldn’t imagine how Ms. Anastasia could make their story any better and outdo herself. Yet she did with each book. And Saving Poughkeepsie is the perfect ending to a series I really don’t want to see end.

With all of the action that happened in Return to Poughkeepsie, I wasn’t sure what to expect with the “truce” between Beckett and Vitullo but I REALLY didn’t expect to find out that Mary Ellen wasn’t the only loon in that family. Seriously, the apple didn’t fall far from that tree. I was utterly astounded by the plays Vitullo made in order to insure his legacy. Creepy doesn’t even begin to describe it. Unfortunately his machinations meant that Eve was forced to experience even more loss and my heart broke for her. But Eve and Beckett proved once again that love conquers all – albeit in some odd yet effective ways. And in Beckett Taylor’s signature style, Poughkeepsie was saved with a boom.

In Saving Poughkeepsie, Ms. Anastasia gives us the chance to see how life goes on for everyone in spite of the mayhem that Vitullo’s actions inflict upon the city. We get to see Livia and Blake’s family continue to grow and how strong their love is. Kyle and Cole also saw their family grow with the arrival of Chery’s baby; my heart hurt with happiness when Kyle finally got to experience motherhood. As for Beckett and Eve, their relationship underwent sooooo many changes as they faced challenge after challenge in this book that I’m actually glad I can’t mention them due to spoiler issues because I’m not even sure where I’d start. But the author definitely kept me on the edge of my seat as I watched them face the challenges together – whether it was physically or emotionally, they stood by one another and forged an even deeper bond than they had. While Saving Poughkeepsie is intended to be the final book in the series, I can only hope that Ms. Anastasia’s Poughkeepsie muses start haunting her and demand their stories to be told now that the Poughkeepsie Brother’s Legacy is open. In the meantime, I can comfort myself with the knowledge that I can visit Poughkeepsie anytime I want and look forward to the release of the prequel, Poughkeepsie Begins.

0 comments:

Post a Comment