02 December 2014

Variables of Love Tour Stop!

Meena Kapoor knows what life has in store for her. She’s in her senior year at Stanford where she’ll graduate summa cum laude, and then she'll begin her interviews…her marriage interviews. Meena is Indian, and she’s never questioned that she’ll have an arranged marriage like all the generations before her. Not until she meets gorgeous math major Ethan Callahan. Ethan’s sense of humor and free spirit stir feelings in Meena she didn’t know were possible outside of Bollywood movies. It doesn’t hurt that he’s charming and has the uncanny ability to make math sound like poetry, but Meena knows their equation makes no sense in the real world.

Ethan finds himself intrigued by the mysterious, beautiful girl, whose big, brown eyes reflect great pain. His goals are small at first—to make her smile and then to laugh. But he soon wants more, and though Meena is adamant they have no future, he convinces her to share the present. Ethan believes every problem has a solution, but with cultural expectations and family duty among the variables, they will struggle to solve the ultimate equation to find happiness.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23232537-variables-of-love
I love geeky romances!  And this book is a charming, geeky odyssey that I found not only enlightening, but funny and heart wrenching all at the same time.
Meena is in her senior year at Stanford.  Her future has been all planned out for her.  She’ll graduate, get a good job and her parents will arrange her marriage.  She doesn’t question it, she’s just accepts it as her fate and her duty to her Indian family.  Things get infinitely more complicated when she meets Ethan.  He’s smart, funny, good looking and incredibly intrigued by Meena.  She lets him know that there’s no way things can ever work out between them, but they decide to go ahead and spend what little time they have together.  But as the end of their time together draws near, things become a lot more complicated than either had expected.
This was just a really good, really deep and really sweet NA romance.  I simply loved it.  I’m not a fan of math, but I am a fan of Ethan Callahan.  I’m not sure how any girl could resist his charms!  Meena is no exception either.  And I loved Meena.  She has a quiet strength about her, something that has allowed her to deal with the things life has presented her, some incredibly sad. 
I also really liked the cultural aspects of this book.  I mean, I know in some cultures there are arranged marriages still, but it was an interesting dynamic to read about and explore.  Not to mention, it was a great catalyst for the drama that ensued in this book.  I can’t say that I’ve ever quite read a book like this before, and I found it was something I had a hard time putting down.  I really enjoyed being a part of Meena and Ethan’s world for a little while.  4.5 stars.
“Why do you have a blanket in your car?”
“In case I need it.”
“Have you ever had sex on it?” I asked, staring at the soft plush material with narrowing eyes.
Ethan laughed. “Of course I have.”
“Oh,” I said, holding the material further away.
“It’s my sex blanket. Whenever I’m in the mood, I just lay it on the ground, take off my clothes, and the ladies line up.”
It took two seconds before his words sank in and I burst out laughing.
“I’ve had sex on it once, but don’t worry—I’ve washed it since then.” His honesty was jarring. Did he always tell the truth? He pulled it over us before crossing his arms behind his head and lying down. Our shoulders grazed each other’s. “Look up, sunshine.”
I gasped. The golden stars appeared to drop right out of the sky like they might fall on us. “It’s beautiful. They look so close.”
“I know. It makes you feel important and insignificant at the same time.”
“That’s a good way to describe it.”
We were silent for a moment, both staring at the magnificent view above us. “Do you bring a lot of girls here?”
Ethan chuckled, turning toward me and resting his head on his crooked elbow. “No, why? You think I should?”
I am a hopeless romantic in a hopelessly pragmatic world. I have a full time life and two busy teenagers, but in the dark of night, I sit by the warm glow of my computer monitor, and attempt to conjure up passionate heartwarming stories with plenty of humor.
I started imagining stories in my head at a very young age. In fact, I got so good at it that friends asked me to create plots featuring them as the heroine and the object of their affection as the hero. We'd spend hours on the phone while I came up with a series of unrealistic, yet tender events, which led to a satisfying conclusion. You've heard of fan fiction... this was friend fiction.
Even with that, it took many years to realize I could produce an actual full-length book that readers would enjoy. I try to make my stories humorous, realistic, with flawed but redeeming characters. I hope you enjoy my stories and always find The Happily Ever After in every endeavor.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment