06 January 2015

Rocked by the Billionaire by Mandy Baxter

 Bad-boy Luke "Lucifer" Blackwell is living the life. Being the lead singer for the rock group Riot 59 has brought him everything he could ever want—billions of dollars, endless parties, and enough groupies to last a lifetime. But when Luke’s wild life starts to wear him down, he returns home to Texas—and ends up in the arms of the one woman who’s always made his heart beat faster than a pounding drum…Kayleigh Taylor likes being a small-town girl, so she’s always been wary of Luke Blackwell’s fast-paced life—and of Luke himself. Fully expecting never to see the sexy singer who broke her heart years before, Kayleigh is completely shocked to find him back home, avoiding the spotlight and pursuing her instead. Kayleigh knows this can’t be right--his heart was always devoted to his music. But as they spend more and more time together, Luke is awfully convincing that his heart belongs to someone else…
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22572555-rocked-by-the-billionaire?ac=1
Rocked by the Billionaire is my favorite of the Billionaire’s Club: Texas series. Unlike his brothers in the previous two novellas, Luke grew up with the girl who had his heart. Unfortunately, at eighteen Luke was ready to leave their small town behind to prove that he wasn’t the piece of white trash good-for-nothing troublemaker so many of his peers believed him to be. But Kayleigh loved small town life and didn’t want to leave, so Luke left her behind without a look back, breaking her heart in the process. Eight years later he’s back in town to get his life back in order and one of the first things he sees is her and he realizes that she still owns his heart and he wants her back.

I think that the reason I loved Rocked by the Billionaire so much is that I could relate to Kayleigh and her frustration about how much of a hold Luke had over her after so much time, even after breaking her heart. I believe many women have that guy that makes us lose our mind and common sense when he blows back into our lives. I do and any time we run into one another, I’m right back to being the 20 year-old girl I was when we were together. Adding to the feelings of nostalgia, Ms. Baxter also infuses a TON of sexual chemistry between Kayleigh and Luke. The sex scenes are panty-melting hot. Good grief! And that punch was perfect! Of course the author gives the couple the happy ending they deserve. I’m just sad that Luke is the last of the Blackwell brothers bringing the series to an end, but at least Ms. Baxter has another series available that I’ll have to check out.
Have you ever read a book and thought “I’ve read this before?” Yeah, that was me and Rocked by the Billionaire. While I had never read this particular book before, the story was so similar to many I read in my teens that I was bored. The entire way through – well, except for the moment I wanted to kick the heroine for dumping her boyfriend just because the ‘hero’ was back in town.

But that wasn’t the only thing that kind of drove me nuts. The writing style was reminiscent of young adult novels – and that turned me off instantly. When I want to read a YA book, I read one. I don’t expect that kind of writing in an adult book. In the end, I would classify this book as erotica and not erotic romance – because the focus was more on the ‘have to get the woman into bed’ than on the romance. And here you can see why it being written in a young adult style would bother me – young adult literature and erotica do not mix.

If you are looking for a simply written, uncomplicated erotic story with teenage-style reactions in adults, this may be the book for you. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment