02 March 2015

#Beyond: Adrian J. Smith

Adrian J. Smith, or “AJ” as she is often called, is a part-time writer with an epic imagination, sharp wit, and kind heart that gets her into a bit of trouble when it comes to taking in all the neighborhood stray cats. Being obsessed with science fiction, Smith often goes off on tangents about the space-time continuum. She is also a part-time lunatic with a secretive past. It’s been rumored that she was once a spy for the government, but anyone who has gotten close enough to know the truth has never lived to tell the tale. When traveling around the world on various classified tasks, Smith requires the following be provided: buffalo jerky, mimosas, and eighty-six pennies. This is all we know about the reclusive woman.
Do you ever feel during the writing process that your characters start to take on a life of their own to the point that they're directing the storyline?

My characters are 100% their own. When the character steals the story from me, the author, I’m so very happy. It means the story goes quickly, that the technical aspects of it bloom into something beautifully created. It means that I feel like I’m doing far less work. The characters are what make or break most novels for me. If the character isn’t there, then I want nothing to do with the story, no matter how good the plot is.

So when my characters take on a life of their own and the story starts to take twists and turns I wasn’t expecting, I can’t help but sit back, keep my fingers on the keyboard and type as fast and they’ll let me type. My best writing is when the character takes over.

Characters, to me, should be like my best friend. That doesn’t mean I have to like every single aspect about that. What it means is that they have problems, abilities, and talents that I do not have or that compliment my own. Meaning, sometimes I need someone to be very blunt with me or something I need a caring and comforting character. In this way my characters take on a life of their own. It makes them well-rounded to react and respond to the situations around them in ways that I wouldn’t be able to because they’re not me. So when something bad happens or something shocking, they should react in their own way and not the way I would.

That’s not to say there aren’t aspects of my characters that are similar to me the author. It just means that a lot of the times I wait it out to see exactly how my character would react and I go with it. I don’t want to direct the story being told. I simply want to write down what happens as it happens. I’m a recorder, I write the transcript but they make the story. Much in the way of watching a child grow and become their own. I can write their story for a little bit, as they are infants and young children. But as soon as that child can make a decision on their own, then I can only offer advice and help when they ask it of me. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Firefighters are trained to keep calm in the face of extraordinary events, but James was never prepared for this.

Saving people is a regular practice in a firefighter’s line of work; it is not something extraordinary or unusual. Just routine. James has been trained to respond to emergency calls and what to do in difficult situations. For James, the most important part of her work is that she knows how to run into a burning building to save a life. She is a firefighter not for the glory and not for the honor. She is there to make a difference.

Working hard has always been a common practice for James, but when her secret significant other is pressuring her to solidify their relationship, tensions start to rise. James is being pushed into turning her life upside down and inside out. She can’t stop disturbing dreams about a little girl she saved from a house fire years prior. She struggles to find balance through the pressures and stressors of her daily life, but she still can’t shake the ill-fated feeling that something is wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She thought she was on a new path, but life keeps tugging Addison Lee back to her past and her gift. Addison struggles to make a new life in Norwich, one where she can be the Battalion Chief of Fire Station Seven and live life as she sees fit. She wants a life without the complications of an ex-fiance and a job that put her life on the line for little more than a gift she was born with. Learning the ropes of a new job can always be tough, and being a Battalion Chief means she has a great responsibility to her crew and to the city.

Nervous about her first day already, Addison realizes that adding in a one-night stand with a future employee has left her on rocky ground. Plagued by visions of a dying woman, Addison continues to cope with difficulties at her new job. She has no idea who the dying woman is, where she is, or even, when she is-and no means to find out. Addison is distracted from the dying woman and her new job when called to Wyoming on an emergency, where she discovers it's not as easy to leave her past behind as she hoped.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eleven years after the love of her life dies, James hopes everything would be normal and works to construct her reality as such. Her adopted daughter, Lily, finishes her sophomore year of high school with nothing other than good grades, a best friend for life, and goals for the future. James, after stepping back into the dating world, has a girlfriend with a steady, non-life-threatening job. Life is as peaceful as it can be. But a day at the waterpark with her daughter reveals the largest crack in the façade.
And nothing can stop chaos from ensuing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being a Sheriff’s Deputy is not all about saving lives and arresting criminals, and each day Grace wonders if she’ll make it home.

While kids at the schools Deputy Grace Halling visits see her as the knight in blue-cotton armor, people involved in the cases she is dispatched to have a different opinion. She has every confidence in her ability to do her job and arrest criminals. She easily takes down a knife-wielding woman and a drunken combatant teenager without hesitation. Everyone—victim, suspect, or witness—has a story to tell or to lie about, and Grace is never perturbed by their tales.

That all changes when she looks down the barrel of a gun. She loses confidence in her ability as a deputy, she loses trust in herself and fellow officers, and she struggles to stay afloat as shift after shift passes. Grace cannot find her rhythm of being a deputy again. And when the Police Chaplain unexpectedly barges into her life, her personal and professional lives are flipped upside down. Grace struggles to find even ground, worrying that the next time she stares a murderer in the face will be the last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Living in a closed society hasn’t given Kaya many opportunities to explore her sexuality. With no family around and no one to take care of her, Kaya wanders through the forest to the forbidden lake. Curiosity and the unknown prompt her to touch and feel everything she has been missing. And when Helki arrives, the façade she lives in is shattered.

*Intended for Audiences 18 yrs+ -- This is MONSTER EROTICA so expect the unexpected**

0 comments:

Post a Comment