09 March 2015

#Beyond: Thianna D


Thianna D writes romance with a side of spice. Her romances are about the characters and their relationships. And relationships do come with a little frisky most of the time.
Who in your personal life was the biggest supporter of your writing?


Not really anyone. People in my daily life think writing is something you do for fun, not something you make a living at. My biggest supporters have been the people who have read my works online, my fans, who write and ask me when I’m going to write another one.

Do you prefer quiet or background noise when writing? If background noise, what?

Usually, I write to silence. I prefer it. IF there is noise going on elsewhere in the house, I’ll put on my earphones and listen to meditative music. It has to be calm, quiet, music. No words or it will jar me from the words I’m writing. However, as a caveat, if I want to write something incredibly humorous, I tend to find myself humming something from Dr. Demento.

What is one thing you wish your readers could understand about the writing process?

That it takes time and a lot of creativity to do it. So many fans think we can just whip a book out in a manner of weeks. True, we could, but the fact is it won’t be good. To put out a really spectacular book should take about a year. It has to be written, which can take weeks or months, then sat aside until it is basically forgotten. Then pulled out to look at with a fresh eye, re-write, and start the editing process. After the first edit or two, then it’s good to get others opinions and that’s where beta readers come in. AT that point, the submission process to a publisher begins – which can take days, weeks, months or years to get a contract.

Then, once the contract negotiations are over and the manuscript is in the hands of the publisher, to put out a polished book can take months. It has to be edited by in-house editors, the cover has to be designed, a marketing plan has to be conceived and worked out.

This takes a lot of money and time. Don’t let the newer ePublishers fool you. It should never happen that fast if done well. And it should never be cheap.

If your characters could come to life and be a real human, which one do you think you would get along with best and which one would drive you crazy first?

Oh, that’s a difficult question. I love my characters. I think I would get along with Jonathon from the Corbin’s Bend series the best. As to who would drive me crazy at first? Brian from my All They Ever Needed series. Homophobic, closed-minded jerk.

When did you start writing and what was your inspiration?

I’ve been writing since I could write. I still have one of my first stories written when I was like five years old about a martian – I even have little drawings I made in the corner of the martian.

Is there a genre or type of book that you love to read but could never write and if so why?

No – If I love to read it, I can write it. I can even write about stuff I would never read. The only books I could never write are straight-up horror and mysteries. Horror because it gives me nightmares and as an author, getting in that deep the nightmares would be horrific. Mysteries because they drive me nuts. I’m usually good at figuring out a storyline pretty quickly. All the misleading clues they hand in mysteries drive me nuts LOL I always end up skipping to the end.

Since you've been writing how much has the genre changed? Good, bad?

The genre I have been writing in for three years – erotic romance – has unfortunately changed. For the worse. This year, I have re-branded myself as a Romance author because what I write concentrates on the characters, the plot, and the romance, not the sex. Unfortunately, the genre has become more about erotica than erotic romance. It’s like the authors write a bunch of sex scenes and then try to come up with a story to tie them together. The other genre I have focused on has been spanking. Unfortunately, that genre, instead of being about spanking or DD, has become more about ‘how many ways can you punish and humiliate someone anally’ and I think that’s just sad. But, that’s how the spanking genre is now, so I am not calling myself a spanking or domestic discipline author either.

Seeing more and more authors going the "self-pub' route. Thoughts?

I started out self-pub. It’s difficult – not so much getting published that way, but everything from the cost of editing, cover creation, and the amount of marketing to truly be a success? Yes, you get more money for each book sold from self-pubbing, and you have more control – which with some of the publishers is needed – but you have to weigh what you can afford and what you are willing to do to make your books a success. Selling 10 books where you get 70% of the sale, or Selling 1000 books where you get 7-40% of the sale.

How much thought do you as an author put into your cover, cover models etc. And has that changed since you started writing. If so, have you or will you go back and re-do covers you’re no longer pleased with?

Too many authors try to control their cover creation. And that is almost always bad. The author looks at the cover from the author point of view and what they think is important – instead of from a marketing point of view and what will catch the eye of the reader. If I feel the publisher goes about cover design from a marketing standpoint, I would prefer to give them the blurb and descriptions, and let them figure out the cover – and in two of my publishers that has worked out fantastically! In another publisher, I’ve learned to be a little more strict in what I say, but I don’t look for cover models. I feel the cover designer, who had best be an artist, should have a vision. And I want to see that vision come to life. IF their vision doesn’t work, then I’ll give them several suggestions as to who looks like my character.

What is the most intense scene you have ever written? Did you find it difficult writing that scene?

Ummm, I wrote a story once where it was a tragedy. The chapter where the leading lady died had me in tears. I had to take breaks as I wrote it because I just wept along with her boyfriend and family. Emotional scenes are the most intense for me. And I ride them out along with my characters.

If you could write in any genre that you've never tried, what would it be and why?

Hmm. I’m actually writing one now that is different for me. Suspense. And it’s because my characters are leading the way. It scares the living daylights out of me because I don’t really have a lot of faith in my ability to do a good suspense novel. No matter how much I have these two characters running from just about everything. When the one character ran over to find his partner had been shot and nobody knew if he was alive? I was shuddering along with him.

When thinking about writing any specific genre, what triggers your fears and insecurities the most?

Seeing how my work differs so much from what is out there. I keep wondering how I will find my niche when the genres and groups I write in write so differently than I do and these authors get tons of 5-star reviews and sales. When did writing stop being about the story? Too many books these days are all about the sex – many times badly written sex or sex I’ve read before – and not enough to make me really want to read it.

When writing, what comes first? The characters or the plot?

I’m a pantser, so how my writing process goes is this. I sit down, either pick up a pen or put my fingers to the keys and start. Instantly the story pours out. I usually don’t know what’s going to happen in advance of when it does. Most of the time, I claim I am the first reader of my stories because they go directly from the either to my fingertips. The first time they settle in my head is when I see them appear on the page.

Do you find that you write what you love to read? Or a different genre?

Basically I do write what I love to read. But I love many different kind of books – which is why I have multiple pseudonyms and multiple genres. Each one fits a part of me.

Do you ever write your own personal fantasies into your books?

LOL In every book I’ve written, at least one character does something I, myself, have done. As for fantasies? Yep. All the time –whether that be in a sensual nature, or in visiting different worlds. I am a major part of my books.

That said, I do also like to stretch my writing styles at times and will write about something I despise or makes me uncomfortable just to see if I can do it and make it believable.

How much if any of your story line comes from real life people or events

In most of my novels, there will be at least one scene that is based on something I’ve done. Not so much for my shorter books. Though in those, I usually have a character whose personality is somewhat based on me.

How many times do you read what you wrote and think "where the hell did that come from?!"

LOL Quite often. In my book Bane of My Existence, Master Bane has a lactation fetish. It drives me nuts every time I write him because it’s a real strong fetish for him and it’s not one of mine.

Do you have to look at the keys when you type?

Most of the time no. The more tired I get, the more likely my fingers are likely to slip to one side or the other – and when that happens, I close down the computer for the night.

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

About the same amount of peppers as Peter Piper picked.

What are you two favorite 80’s movies?

Oy! Only two? That’s tough. I loved Indiana Jones – the first one. And E.T. was absolutely fantastic.

Why are man-hole covers round?

I cheated and looked up the answer to this one.

A round manhole cover cannot fall through its circular opening, whereas a square manhole cover could fall in if it were inserted diagonally in the hole. Circular covers don't need to be rotated or precisely aligned when placing them on the opening. A round manhole cover is easily moved and rolled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Have you visited Corbin's Bend? If not, then pack your bags for a journey to a community tailor-made for you.

In Corbin's Bend, no wife ever need fear having her neighbors know she's subject to domestic discipline, because here spanking is the norm. In this popular series, you will get to know the couples who call this unique community home, and learn how they build their lives with the help of old-fashioned disciplinary values.

Life-long residents of Mesa, Arizona, both of Matt & Julie Renton’s conservative families turned on them when their discipline lifestyle became public knowledge. Months after being fired from his job, Matt was just getting by doing day labor. Worried over Julie’s stress level, he set his hopes on getting into a new housing development in Colorado called Corbin’s Bend where they could be themselves and his lovely wife could finally relax.

Combined with Matt’s natural ability to find the most unique forms of discipline he could imagine, Julie found herself at home in their new community filled with wonderful residents who were nice, friendly, and the kind of people she could open up to.

Tried, true, and tested before they even reached Colorado, Matt and Julie worked hard to keep their relationship strong even as they started a new life. With a new job for Matt and complete acceptance from the community for Julie, they began to feel that this just might be where they belonged. Especially when the community’s welcome basket arrived with a little surprise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Brent Carmichael loved Corbin's Bend. A small community at the base of the rocky mountains just for spankofiles, he worked tirelessly to make sure everything ran smoothly and that the residents were safe and happy. He never intended to fall in love but when Charmagne Kendle stumbled into his life, he found an attraction he had no intention of fighting.
Char moved to Corbin's Bend after losing her job, her apartment, and her fiance all in one day. She had no idea she was actually moving to a spanking community but with the freedom to explore her secret fetish, she found herself happily upended over Brent's lap.

As their relationship deepened into domestic discipline, her ex appeared wanting her back. Now she had to choose. The rich, handsome, and charming Nathan Korven or former police officer Brent Carmichael. To find her bliss, there was really only one choice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
   Retired Marine Brandon Delt, moves to Corbin’s Bend after his recently divorced wife marries his cousin. Tired of living a non-discipline lifestyle, he fully welcomes the openness of the Corbin’s Bend spanking community. One day he hopes to meet the woman he could make his TiH. He doesn’t expect to meet her on day one.

Carodine Minor’s just in Corbin’s Bend for the summer. Just graduated with her master’s degree in chemistry, Dina isn’t sure of her next step in life. Not once has she ever considered being spanked. Logical woman that she is, when she finds herself intrigued by the idea of a hand across her derriere, she asks for a demonstration from Brandon. One demo turns into a wild night of passion neither wants to let go of.

Take one hot summer. Add in an intellectual chemist and a dominant retired Marine. Once the chemistry ignites, combustion is soon to follow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The holiday season is celebrated in many ways. In this Holiday Duet from Corbin’s Bend creator Thianna D., you get two celebrations in one. Benjamin, Jonathon, and Cory are good friends and this holiday season, they receive their own unique gifts.

Cory’s girlfriend Kenzie comes up for the weekend and finally he can show the girl he loves everything Corbin’s Bend has to offer in A Holiday Beginning. In You’ve Been Gifted, Jonathon—overcome with stress—receives an unexpected gift from a Secret Santa and it turns the worst day of the year into possibly the best. Especially when Benjamin sees it.

Join Cory, Kenzie, Jonathon, and Benjamin for a fun, loving, and exceptional holiday. For while the Corbin’s Bend orchestra is mostly heard during the spring and summer, these two couples manage to create a holiday duet of their own.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
  For Christian Darringer, life isn’t worth living. Just back from the Middle East; scarred and with permanent damage to one leg, he does not think anyone will want him for anything. Meeting a gorgeous man he finds himself thinking about constantly is not in his plans. Pulled toward the startling younger man with striking blue eyes, he begins to question a lot of things – especially his sexuality. Not one to hide from a challenge, he plunges ahead only to find himself more than just attracted to Logan who is full of life and joy, he finds himself head over heels in love.

Logan Mannette has almost everything he ever wanted: loving parents, happiness, friends and security. The only thing missing is finding the love of his life, a love that is just like his parents’. When he meets Christian at a party, everything changes. Instantly attracted, he does his best to help this sad man and quickly finds himself feeling more than he has ever felt before. Raised in a domestic discipline household, he holds that ideal as what he wants but his interest in spanking became a fetish and when Christian admits that he wants to be spanked, Logan believes he might have found the perfect man.

Just as everything begins for them, Christian’s past intercedes and one of his brothers makes waves about him dating a man. If it weren’t for Logan’s support, he might fold; but with the love of one amazing man, Christian finds that living his life rather than just existing is as natural as breathing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes taking control is what you need to do and sometimes the best thing you can do is give that control up.

In the summer between Logan's junior and senior years of college, these two will find out more about each other and themselves than they imagined.

While unhappy to be missing four weeks of Christian's company, Logan is thrilled to spend a month with his father's relatives in New York. A naturally gregarious individual, he is used to winning people over and getting things right. Unfortunately, the Mannettes are not what he expects and for the first time in his life, he finds himself seriously doubting who he is.

Christian has regained some of his old self-esteem and is taking on new challenges. Besides growing in the relationship he has with Logan, he takes the time his boyfriend is away to learn more about domestic discipline. He learns a little online but it is actually Gregory, Logan's father, where he gains most of his information. Including the fact that his natural strength puts him in a leadership position he isn't expecting.

When Logan returns to a strong, self-assured Christian, it is with complete relief. As discussions turn to domestic discipline and they realize their true roles within their current and future relationship, both of them are able to let their inhibitions go and together their connection grows surprising Logan to an epiphany.

*Warning: Contains BDSM elements with M/M spanking scenes.*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  While the outside world might try to undermine them, Logan and Christian’s relationship just grows stronger. In this, the final part of the All They Ever Needed trilogy, their lives take an unexpected turn.

Christian takes to heart everything he learns from Logan’s father and as he and Logan go forward in their DD relationship, he finds that he is willing to not just take on the mantle of Head of House, but to embrace it. With Logan graduating from college, Christian takes the next logical step and asks his boyfriend to move in.

Even with the stress of student teaching and trying to figure out what to do after graduation, Logan leaps at the chance to live with the man he loves. As the pressure of graduation begins to get to him, the only thing to keep him grounded is the amazing man at his side.

Those closest to them make huge changes in their own lives and when an unexpected job offer lands in Logan’s lap, the two have to make a life altering decision. No matter which way they go, they need to give something up. Play it safe and stay home or accept the job and move away from their families? When it comes to decision time, there is one thing they are not willing to part with. That one thing makes all the difference in the world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Antonia is convinced by her friend Kayle to apply at Liaisons, a new fetish club in town, she never expects to meet Master Bane or to become his sub.

As she falls more and more for the enigmatic man two decades her senior, there is something about him that she cannot quite figure out. She can tell he is keeping something from her and even as that gulf stretches between them, she falls further and further in love with him.

When the truth comes out, can she accept it? Or is this the end?

This is a paranormal BDSM erotic romance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thrilled to be spending her summer interning at the world’s largest erotic library, Serendipity Jones feels it cannot get any better than sun, sand, and the beautiful castle the library is housed in. Within days of her arrival, strange things begin to occur that only she knows of. Erotic sounds come from within the library when nobody else is around, the books won't open, and a strange man seems to be plaguing her steps.

At first annoyed by the imposing taciturn man, she finds herself attracted and quickly falls in love with Joshuan even though he is meant for another. On a quest to find the woman foretold in a prophecy from his world, he is at first annoyed at Seri who keeps getting in his way before coming to enjoy her company and falling in love with her. But their short love affair must come to an end. For the woman foretold will be found as the sun goes silent and the solar eclipse comes quickly.

The Markham Library series is about a private library belonging to the Markham family. Within this library the heroine or hero of each novella/novel finds her or himself thrust into the storyline of one of the novels it contains.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "Deep within the library there are secrets untold, hidden within the pages of the books it protects. Some say it is old magic, some say it is a curse, but they all say that once a generation, the door will open and the one who enters will live out the story in one of its novels."

18 year old Landria expects to spend a dull summer at her aunt and uncle’s house. That is until she stumbles upon a dusty, unused library and finds her way into the pages of an erotic novel. Attacked within moments of entering the story, she is rescued by the hero, Lord Nicholas Waring, who intrigues her more than she wishes. Once she finds herself back home she cannot forget him. When he follows her into her world and they fall in love, will they be forced apart by the words already written or can they rewrite their story?

Through the Library Door is the fourth Library Tale, but it is also the first in The Markham Library series.

Library Tales are tales involving erotica and libraries. Some involve BDSM, some do not. The first three range between 4,000-15,000 words.

The Markham Library series is about a private library belonging to the Markham family. Within this library the heroine or hero of each novella/novel finds her or himself thrust into the storyline of one of the novels it contains.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blake Loughton was pretty sure life was over at the age of forty. All he did was work, work, work, except for the few hours a week he spent online with a dominant who seemed to get him. When he met his dom in person quite by accident, it changed everything, especially when he fell in love with the man behind the online persona.

At thirty-four Dusty Brandon had been involved in his alternative lifestyle for ages, but hadn't had a sub in years until he met Blake online. The more he knew him, the more he wanted to take things further. Getting through Blake's barriers used all the knowledge he had, but getting his boy to move to Texas took even more.

Join Blake and Dusty on their journey from meeting online to the moment Sir collars his boy. A BDSM erotic romance sure to make everything worth it. Two men. Dominance, submission, kink, and love. The Blake/Dusty Chronicles: Two Sides of the Same Coin - an erotic romance you won't want to miss.

Warning: This 86,000+ word novel contains content that some may find objectionable, including M/M, anal sex, spanking, and BDSM elements.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me over :) It was great to answer your questions, especially the manwhole cover one. LOL I learned something new ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! As a writer in similar genres, I completely agree about the way that it seems the business is going, and it drives me just as crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stellar interview! I'm a big fan of Thianna's. :)

    ReplyDelete