11 March 2015

The Token: A Breed Apart by Natasha Rogue

 Callie Michaels isn’t pretty or popular, but her singing more than makes up for all she lacks. And as long as she focuses on what’s really important, she can survive high school. But how can she focus with all the drama? Between her best friend’s odd issues and a daily dose of weirdness from the social elite, she’s starting to wonder if she’s the only normal one around.

He pulled the front door open. “That’s how it’s done.”

I rolled my eyes and made my way through the crowd that had spilled into the hall, muttering. “That’s how it’s done. Yeah? Where? In the jungle?”

“Yeah.” James’ breath on my nape sent a chill down my spine. “Something like that.”

Just as her life begins spiraling out of control, the answer comes to her in a dream. In exchange for a token of blood, a demon will give her everything she desires. She says “yes.” From that point on, she finds herself changing, becoming something far from normal. Something dangerous.

No one is what they seem—least of all her. While the supernatural creatures around her struggle to maintain their humanity, Callie slowly loses hers. She doesn’t even know what’s important anymore. Friendship, the future, love? And is there anyone who can make her care?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23686808-the-token
I gave Token: A Breed Apart 4 stars because it captivated me enough I couldn’t put it down when I was at the gym – yes, any book that keeps my interest so that suddenly 50 minutes flies by without my notice deserves at least 4 stars. That said? I really didn’t like the characters. The story? Fascinating. The characters themselves? Let me put it this way – someone should drop a bomb on their high school. None of the kids would be missed. In fact, their parents would be better off if it happened. (If you read the book, you’ll understand.)

Okay, so I did like one student – James. But the rest of them? So not worth saving. Callie was okay at first. I liked her. Until she gave in and it changed her. Tammy, her supposed best friend? With friends like her, Callie doesn’t need any enemies. And yet, she’s got them. Nick, Tammy’s brother, who wants revenge on his sister and Amy, the quintessential queen bee, was so stereotyped I quickly lost interest in her.

What did keep my interest? The unique paranormal twists in the story. I liked the author’s unique take on shifters, demons, and magi. I’m still of the belief that bombing that school off the planet would be the best thing someone could do for this fictional world, but it was captivating. How captivating? I’ll be waiting for the next book from Ms. Rogue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment