07 July 2013

Lick, By Kylie Scott


Waking up in Vegas was never meant to be like this.

Evelyn Thomas’s plans for celebrating her twenty-first birthday in Las Vegas were big. Huge. But she sure as hell never meant to wake up on the bathroom floor with a hangover to rival the black plague, a very attractive half-naked tattooed man, and a diamond on her finger large enough to scare King Kong. Now if she could just remember how it all happened.

Sara's Review:
Can you imagine waking up in Vegas, hugging the porcelain goddess and discovering that you’re married?  To a rock star?  A hot rock star?  Yeah, me either…the craziest I get these days is adding Irish cream to my coffee, but to read about it?  Living vicariously is good.  I am, after all, married to an accountant…so bring on the bad boy rocker!!!

“Lick” is the story of Evelyn and David.  Evelyn is a straight-laced 21 year old.  She has goals…and very expectant parents.  She goes to Vegas in search of an experience for one night that will take her out of her comfort zone, and boy does that happen.  She finds herself with the mother of all hangovers and married (complete with ass tattoo) to David, the hot (have I mentioned he was hot?), tattooed, angsty guitarist of “Stage Dive”.  The thing is, she doesn’t remember it.  Not a lick (ha-ha…see what I did there?).  She discovers that the night together meant a bit more to David, as he declares that the marriage was a mistake in his anger over her inability to remember and storms out of the hotel room.

Evelyn intends to go home and try and forget that it ever happened, but through a series of events they are put back together and discover that they have a connection that can’t be explained.  Maybe there was a reason they got married on a whim, and it’s not completely crazy.

I liked the characters in this book.  They are complicated and fascinating.  Neither David nor Evelyn is one note (oh…I did it again) and throughout the course of the book you discover their insecurities and motivations for how they’ve been living life up until this point.  Both are unhappy and searching for something.  It’s sweet that when they discovered each other, it seems they each needed something that only the other could bring out in them.   I love stories like this.  The underlying message, I think, is that there are people in your life who are meant to be there, no matter how crazy or how inconvenient it may seem at the time, the universe brought you together in order to teach you a cosmic lesson.   That is Ev and David.  

The writing of the story is well done.  It is told through Evelyn’s perspective and so you, as the reader, are just in the dark as she is that morning in Vegas.  You have no clue what happened the night before, so you discover it as Ev does.  I really liked that.  And I liked the ways in which David helped her to remember.  Rawr. 

As far as what I didn’t connect with in the story was the chemistry between the characters.  I mean, it was there, as the sex scenes were top notch, but Ev goes from wanting nothing to do with him to thinking she might be in love with him.  As a reader, I feel I need more build up, more explanation of how Ev arrived there in order to go forward in the story. 

Overall, I liked this book.  The plot was enjoyable, the writing was good.  Even though there were aspects to the book that I think could have been expanded on, don’t fret (I had to fit in just one more), it was a solid 3.5 star read for me!  Can’t wait to read more in this series!


 


Teasin' Time:

David grabbed my face in both hands and mashed his lips to mine, kissing the stuffing out of me. I opened my mouth and his tongue slipped in. The kiss was rough and wet. Breathing was an issue. We both had anger management issues and neither of us entirely refrained from biting. With his bruised mouth, he definitely had the most to lose. It wasn’t long before the metallic taste of blood hit my tongue.

He pulled back with a hiss, fresh blood on his swollen top lip. “Fuck.”

He grabbed my hands. I didn’t make it easy on him, struggling for all I was worth. But he was stronger. He pinned them to the floor above my head with relative ease. The press of his hard-on between my legs felt exquisite, insane. And the more I bucked against him the better it got. Adrenaline had already been pouring through me, amping me up. The need to have him sat just below the surface, prickling my skin, making me hyperaware of everything.

So this was angry sex. I couldn’t bring myself to hurt him, not really. But there were other ways to assert myself in this situation. He came back to my mouth and I nipped him again in warning.

A mad smile appeared on his face. It probably matched my own. We were both panting, fighting for air. Both as stubborn as hell. Without another word he released my wrists and drew back. Quickly, he grabbed my waist and turned me over, pulling me up onto my elbows and knees. Arranging me how he wanted me. Rough hands tore at the button and zip on my jeans. He yanked down my denim and crazily overpriced thong, body poised over mine.

His hands smoothed over my ass. Teeth dragged over the sensitive skin of one cheek, just above the tattoo of his name. A hand slipped beneath to cup my sex. The press of his fingers against me had me seeing stars. When they started stroking me, working me higher, I couldn’t hold back my moan. He nipped me on the rump, a sharp sting of sensation. Then he pressed kisses up my spine. Stubble from his chin scratched my shoulder.

The lack of words, the absolute silence apart from our heavy breathing made it more. It made it different.


Kylie Time!

 
Kylie is a long time fan of erotic love stories and B-grade horror films. She demands a happy ending and if blood and carnage occur along the way then all the better. Based in Queensland, Australia with her two children and one delightful husband, she reads, writes and never dithers around on the internet.






Link Kylie:









Check out the blogs listed below to enter into even more raffles to win a copy of Lick!!!

Tour Stops:













July 9th- www.rhyllbiest.com

July 10th- www.welovekink.com




 
 

1 comment: