24 September 2013

Aimee Busch Spotlight!




The Serious:

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a stay at home mother of three. I was born in Huntington, West Virginia and moved to Michigan in 1990.

 What was your life like before becoming an author?
I got to do a lot more reading than I do now, and my husband would probable tell you the house was a lot cleaner, lol.

How many books do you currently have published?
Two. Tempting Fate was released April of 2012. My second novel - Love on a Killer Cruise, was released at the beginning of August (after many delays).





Where did you come up with the idea for them?
Tempting Fate was a story that developed over a few years in my head. I found myself retelling it and changing things to make it better as I did things around the house until I decided that I needed to spend the time writing it down.
Love on a Killer Cruise was... different. I had spent a good deal of time working on a different novel and a friend's life events kind of triggered LoaKC in my head. Before I knew it, it was that story that needed to come out when I sat down to write. I knew it from beginning to end much more easily than TF.


Which comes first? The character's story or the idea for the novel?
I think for the most part I have the idea for the story first, but when it comes to actually writing it I see it more as the main charter is standing over my shoulder telling me exactly how it happened.

What was the hardest part to write in the book(s)?
The very end of Love on a Killer Cruise was hard. As much as I needed to be in the main characters head part of me had to get into the head of the killer. I had to get down to just how nasty and creepy he was, and it was not pretty.

How personal is your writing?
Part of my personality is in some characters in both books. As for actually experiencing things that have happened in the book it would only be a small thing here or there.

Do you outline?
Out line and first draft are always on paper and then I expand from there with more details as I type it out.


How long did it take you to finish your first book?
I had it typed up and put away for about 2 years before I ever even thought about self-publishing, then it was another year or more before I actually did it.

What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?
Anything negative rolls of my back with ease. I know that my work will not be everyone’s cup of tea, and that is fine. I really have not had much negative said, that I know of anyway.
I think the only thing that kind of bothers me is when people are not truly supportive of me, or act like being a self-published author must be "so easy". I have actually be told, to my face, that I self-published because I was not really good enough to be published for real. That one stuck with me for a long time, and it took a lot for me to realize that it was just something mean and hateful that was said.

How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?
I haven't had one yet... but I am sure that the time is coming. I have however had a few 2 and 3 star review on Goodreads and it is no big deal, my stories are not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.


Do you have any other books in the works?
I have rough outlines for two more romance novels, as well as a series of Mystery novels that I have the overall theme and ongoing story line for. My current WIP is a twist on Snow White. It is called The Seven Saviors and will be mostly from the POV of the dwarves... but in my book they will be 20 something hotties! 

If you do, can you share a little bit of it with us?
I am keeping it under wraps for now, sorry!
(She’s so mean isn’t she???)

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
"How can you be an author if you can't spell?" It's true, but I work to be better and better all the time. I can spin a good story and editors are expensive but worth their weight in gold! 

What has been the best compliment?
That readers can put themselves right into the story and be part of it all happening. That is what I want them to be able to do because that is the kind of book I like to read!
The Fun:
What is one question that you are never asked in interviews?
I was asked once in person, but never in an interview. Is Westly from Tempting Fate a real person? She though that I wrote him like I had known him for years and years and in a way I have. 


What is one question that you are always asked in interviews?
If I have a routine when I write. It is hard to have one with three kids around. If I can sit down and get 2,000 to 4,000 words typed up or more than 6 pages written in one day it had been a good one. I have to do everything on the fly, especially in the summer!

If you were interviewing yourself, what are the top 3 questions you would ask yourself?
1) Do you ever think you will stop writing or putting your stories out for people to read?
2) Do you see yourself ever doing something besides writing?
3) If one famous person read your book and loved it whom would you want it to be?

Why are manhole covers round?
I have heard that it is so they cannot be dropped in the hole... I think they just did it that way because the pipes are round, lol.

If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day? Or who would you like to exchange roles with?
As crazy as it can get in my house I don't think I would trade with anyone. 

If you had the opportunity to live one year of your life over again, which year would you choose?
I think the first year I was with my husband and it was just the two of us, we had some fun times together that year.

What's your favorite Christmas memory?
I remember giving my Nanny a Teddy bear for Christmas one year and she cried because she loved it.
(Shoot I want a nanny!!!)

Favorite meal at favorite restaurant?
My Husband's cook is my favorite thing! He can take the simplest thing and kick it up a notch or two. (He makes a grilled cheese that you could charge $15 for in a restaurant and people would get seconds!) Everything he makes, simple or not is the best version I have ever had of it.

If you could eliminate one thing from your daily schedule, what would it be and why?
Cleaning the bathroom or folding laundry, both things I grumble and complain while doing.


Name one funny trait you have, that you would like others to know.
A lot of friends and family think I'm funny... my husband on the other hand finds no humor in any joke I make or story I tell... ever! 


What’s your favorite line from any movie?
"SQUIRREL!" -- Up (I shout it every time I lose my train of thought or someone else does.)

What are your favorite hobbies?
Gardening and Canning

(Yes, these are actual pictures of her garden and canning things!)


If you were a professional wrestler, what would your ring name be and why?
I have no clue, lol.


What is your very favorite part of your day?
First thing in the morning while the kids are still sleeping. It's just me, a book and coffee!


When people look at me, they would never guess that I:
Don't really like to be the center of attention. I am easily embarrassed or discouraged sometimes.

Is there anything else that you want to say to the readers?
I hope that you take the time to read Tempting Fate or Love on a Killer Cruise and enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them. 

Aimee's Links:

Buy the books:
Click the cover to buy your own copy on Amazon!
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment