31 May 2014

That's A Promise by Victoria Klahr

 This book is book one in a three part series.

Happily ever after doesn’t exist. Not just in the romantic sense, but in the sense that there will never be a point in life that will contain no more obstacles.

Josie Sommers is a nerdy twenty four year old, elementary school teacher who has always considered herself a strong person. But with the loss of a loved one and the return of someone she vowed to never see again, her strength starts to break.

When he betrayed her in the ultimate way, she never thought she would let him back into her life, let alone open herself up to falling back in love with him.

Plagued with resentment and the burden of her own dishonesty,
Josie has to decide if forgiving and coming clean is worth the risk of losing him again. With so many hurdles, we know that Josie’s story is no fairytale.

That’s a promise.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18589050-that-s-a-promise?ac=1

I really didn’t know what to expect when I began this book.  What I found was a very emotional and angsty ride on the young adult train!
Josie has been through a lot in her young life.  As a teenager, she experiences something devastating but with the help of her best friend Seth she makes it through.  Following Seth to college, she meets Blake.  And Blake is “the one”.  He makes her feel like no one else ever has, and leaves her breathless.  They fall in love, but soon discover that secrets they are both hiding will lead to their undoing.  At 24, Josie gets a second chance at love with Blake.  Will she take it or walk away?
This book is written in a flashback style narrative that I thought was great but at times became confusing.  It did work, but I found myself having to go back more than once to find where exactly we were in the timeline.  The transitions need a bit of work.  However, seeing things through the eyes of the older Josie in flashback form I think really added to the story and was a great way to tell it.  Perhaps it just needs a little fine tuning.
Now, the drama factor in this book is huge.  HUGE!  There almost was a bit too much of it, I thought.  The ups and downs, the break ups, the tragedies…it really started to go into the realm of unrealistic for me. And the sex…there was a lot of sex.  I would say too much, but lets me honest, when you’re the age of the characters in this book, there’s no such thing as too much sex. 
The characters were the best part of this book for me.  Josie is resilient and brave.  Seth is a bad-boy player with a soft spot (and more) for his best friend.  Super protective, sweet and caring but with an edge…I loved Seth.  But Blake…even with everything that happened, I really wanted it to be Blake.  He is the perfectly imperfect book boyfriend.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  It kept me interested and the ending…it’s a cliffhanger folks!!!  Had to move on to book 2 immediately to see what happened!  4 stars.

I just finished That's a Promise and really liked it.  This is the first in the series and I think that it is one you will really enjoy.  What starts out at a funeral for a loved one that then takes a turn back in the past is going to show you where we are today and the choices that Josie makes.  She at a point in the past had something bad happen and is just trying to get over it and move on with a loving family and her best friend Seth by her side.  Here walks in Blake.  It is an instant attraction for the both of them but jealousy has a way of catching up to those who least expect it.  Who will she choose?  Seth, her best friend that has been through her good and bad times or Blake, the man that is currently holding her heart?  You will have to read and see.

I really liked the story.  I enjoyed that plot but at times the plot for me was confusing.  I understand going back in the past to get things answered but sometimes that part of a story is not for me.  I was still able to enjoy it.  It is an emotional ride that is for sure.  At times, you will love the characters, and at other times you will honestly want to smack the ever living crap out of them.  

Here are the characters.

Josie-I liked her, I thought that some of the things that she says and does were immature but who the hell cares.  She has two hotties pinning for her.  Would you make the same decisions or would you do it differently.  I did feel sorry for her.  To have something traumatic happen just breaks my heart.

Blake-I loved him even though I wanted to hate him.  He was sexy and charming, full of secrets.  What more could you ask for?  

Seth-Gosh, I completely adore him.  He is so sexy and man I could just gobble him up.  Yes I will be honest, I was team Seth to begin with, was definitely rooting for him.

This story has a lot of mystery and trust me you will be surprised and will want to, have no, you will have to read the next one in the series.  You gotta get this one!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7OL4B6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00H7OL4B6&linkCode=as2&tag=crysmanrev-20&linkId=EPY4KFJCRQTWSBGK   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/thats-a-promise-victoria-klahr/1117656895?ean=9781494432935&itm=1&usri=that%27s+a+promise

0 comments:

Post a Comment