29 August 2014

Lead by Kylie Scott

As the lead singer of Stage Dive, Jimmy is used to getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it, whether it's booze, drugs, or women. However, when a PR disaster serves as a wake-up call about his life and lands him in rehab, he finds himself with Lena, a new assistant to keep him out of trouble.  

Lena's not willing to take any crap from the sexy rocker and is determined to keep their relationship completely professional, despite their sizzling chemistry. But when Jimmy pushes her too far and Lena leaves, he realizes that he may just have lost the best thing that ever happened to him.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19286623-lead?ac=1

I have really liked the first two books in this series, so I was expecting a lot from the book about the front man of the band.  And it delivered!
Jimmy is the lead of Stage Dive.  We know from previous installments that the man is hard to handle, to put it politely.  He’s rude and crude and is basically a difficult person to be around.  Now that he’s trying to tackle his alcohol and drug addiction, it’s reached a pinnacle.  The only person who has the balls to stand up to him is his assistant Lena.  She determined to help him kick his vices, but doesn’t anticipate falling for him in the process.  When Jimmy pushes too far and Lena gets fed up with him and leaves, will he be able to get back the one thing that has really mattered to him?
First off, Lena is sooooo awesome.  She does not take crap from Jimmy, and also doesn’t hide from her feelings at all.  In fact, she has no problem spelling it all out for Jimmy.  And Jimmy, while hot, really needed someone who was going to be completely honest and up front with them.  I really loved the progression of the relationship between the two of them.  They truly had a relationship that was built on mutual respect and admiration for the other person, which I felt was a different take for this series.  It wasn’t all just sex and rock’n’roll, it was truly a connection between two people and I really liked that.
Overall, this was probably my favorite book of the series so far.  I liked Mal, and I didn’t expect Jimmy to surpass him, but he did!  Jimmy is kind of a total anti-hero, but it works here.  Personally, that’s my favorite kind of hero. One you aren’t supposed to like but find yourself loving anyway. I think it takes a talented author to pull that off.
I really enjoyed this book.  Best of the series so far in my opinion.  4.5 stars.

I just finished reading Lead and I want to gush about my love for this book all over this review. Unfortunately, I cannot find the right words to describe the level of giddiness descending upon me. This book was endearing, playful, sincere and smoldering. I’m still fanning myself and trying to get my heartbeat regulated.

Kylie Scott warned fans that this book was going to be unlike the previous books. It was going to be a slow burn romance and I for one appreciated the slow development of Jimmy and Lena’s connection from employee/boss, to best friends, to romantic lovers. In a world where we now demand instant gratification it was nice to read a story where the two main characters built a concrete friendship and got to know one another before their feelings became deeper and more meaningful.

“The truth is, I’m all about you, Lena. You’re my best friend. You’re my girl.”

Jimmy Ferris is the lead singer of Stage Dive and the stereotypical egotistical rock star who is used to getting what he wants. His childhood with his brother and band mate David wasn’t exactly functional or typical. He’s spent his life medicating himself with drugs, alcohol and random women but after a forced stint in rehab it’s time for Jimmy to clean up his act and make amends for his past discretions. This is where Lena comes in. She’s hired to act as a live in sobriety companion for Jimmy.

I absolutely adored Lena. She’s become one of my favorite female characters in a book series. Her strength, honesty and sarcasm were refreshing. Lena wasn’t someone who was going to roll over and let the hot and combative Jimmy Ferris manipulate her. He may have been used to getting his way but Lena was just as stubborn and willing to argue with him over everything and anything. The back and forth arguments between Jimmy and Lena were cute and hilarious. Lena really knew how to put Jimmy in his place.

As Lena gets to know Jimmy beyond the façade of rock star asshole she starts to develop deep feelings for him. She’s been burned in the past so Lena doesn’t play around when it comes to admitting to her feelings. I loved the way Lena was willing to lay it all out on the line while the normally self -assured Jimmy stumbled to find his way around her feelings and his own.

“Jimmy, my love….I don’t fuck a guy until he has the balls to actually man up and talk to me about his feelings.”

Lena and Jimmy are perfect together, a level of perfection that I can’t describe. When the two finally give into their sexual desires, it’s sizzling. Those two really did burn up the pages, a slow burn, but an intense one.


This is the third book in the Stage Dive Series which I did not know until after I had read it. However, I don’t think I missed much by not reading the first two books. I loved this book and all of the characters.  Jimmy and Lena were such wonderfully developed and completely believable characters. I loved watching their relationship develop as Jimmy realizes Lena will not allow him to walk all over her.

This was a truly beautiful story about recovery, loyalty, and how to overcome past mistakes and learn to love and trust again.  I would recommend this book to anyone who loves romance and has a soft spot for rock singers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment