02 November 2014

Be My Human by Julie Lynn Hayes and M.A. Church

 Reed and Taz are still adjusting to their new lives together when a medical emergency sends them flying down to Florida on short notice. Not quite the way Reed pictured introducing Taz to his family. Reed’s sister, Rene, welcomes the outgoing Taz with open arms, and the kittenish alien charms Reed’s parents.

But someone isn’t quite so enamored of Reed’s boyfriend—his homophobic older brother Jacob seems determined to be as unpleasant as possible, and he’s making their visit very uncomfortable. The sudden appearance of Reed’s controlling ex releases a flood of insecurity and bad memories.

Reed begins to doubt himself, and his ability to love and be loved in return. When strange items begin appearing as if out of nowhere, he wonders if he’s being stalked, or is he just paranoid? What can Taz do to prove to Reed that he’s more than enough man for this alien?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23485798-be-my-human?ac=1
I have really struggled with how to write this review and how to rate this book for a few reasons.  I’m not normally a sci-fi reader fan, but I have ready Ms. Church’s prior books, and book 1 in this series as well and completely enjoyed them.  So I could hardly wait to start reading this book because I wanted to find out what was going to happen with Reed and Taz.

I was disappointed to say the least when I got into the story because it didn’t have the same *feel* as Be My Alien did.  There were several times that it seemed as though Taz was more humanlike than alien, and the times that his “alieniness” (yes I just made that word up) was mentioned it felt like it was an afterthought.  It was as though the only time his alien side came out was when he was aroused, and there were quite a few more sex scenes in this book as opposed to the first it felt like.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the smut like anyone else does, but I wasn’t really expecting that much of it in this book.

There were other parts of the story that I was a bit confused as to what was happening, and why certain characters were brought into the book.  But eventually it seemed to work itself out to a degree.

Even with the issues that I personally had with the book, I did still enjoy reading it.  I thought it was cute about Taz getting to meet Reed’s family.  I did think that those scenes were done very well.  The emotions were also very well written when it came to certain parts of the story in my opinion. 

Why I rated 4 stars instead of 3?  Because even though I had my opinions about the book, I couldn’t put it down once I started it.  And I am very interested in reading book 3 in the series and finding out more about Taz hopefully!

1 comment: