07 December 2014

Bianca's Plan by B.G. Thomas

Bianca worries that her daddy, Gavin, is lonely and decides he needs a boyfriend for Christmas. So she enlists her father's best friend, the straight and unattached Curtis. Gavin has a Christmas wish, too, and Curtis setting him up on disastrous dates isn't part of it! Meanwhile, Curtis finds life becoming complicated as he tries to please Bianca, make Gavin happy, and fend off his own unexpected mixed feelings. Will anyone's wish come true?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16193864-bianca-s-plan?ac=1
Bianca had one special wish for Christmas, for her father Gavin to find a boyfriend. She enlisted her father’s best friend Curtis in this secret undertaking to make things work out like she wanted.
If you’re like me, you will see the end from the beginning, but in this case, that is not a detriment, but instead, it just made me enjoy the simple short story. There were things I liked about it, things I loved, and a couple things I did not enjoy. So let me give you the rundown:
I liked the basics of the story. It was sweet: everything from Bianca roping straight Curtis into helping her, to the obvious love between Curtis and Gavin. Curtis struggles with trying to stay away from Gavin at one point because he knows his best friend is in love with him, but circumstances just seem to keep getting in his way.
I loved the wonderful relationship Curtis, Gavin, and Bianca had throughout the whole story. They all meshed so well. But above all – I loved the dates Bianca and Curtis set Gavin up on. Preston the snobby florist made me giggle. Bobby, the horny jock who only had one thought on his mind, made me cheer when Gavin walked away. But the best date of all had to be the accidental one with Blue. When that man got to talking about how he colored all his hair including his pubes, I actually burst out laughing imagining the expression on Gavin’s face.
Now for what I did not like. There are four things here: 1-There were quite a few time jumps where the story jumped either forward or backward and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. It was actually jarring to the story and would kick me out of the pure enjoyment of just listening. 2-Curtis’s inner monologue became a bit too much. Little bits of inner talk were cute, but at one point, I wasn’t sure if he was saying this stuff aloud or to himself. 3-I can’t believe I’m actually saying this as I enjoy m/m erotic scenes between two men who obviously love one another, but I could have done without the sex scene. In fact, due to the time jumps, I actually thought the author had skipped over it. For this sweet story, it wasn’t needed. But then, they jumped back once again, and I found the erotic scene lackluster at best. It felt repetitive and uninspired. 4-As a last thing, it was missing chapter headings. I have no idea how the ebook appears –maybe the chapters didn’t have titles or even numbers, but in the audiobook, when it switched chapters, there would be several seconds of air silence and then the narrator would start off. No chapter heading. If they were just going to skip chapter to chapter without any heading, I don’t understand why the seconds of air silence. It jarred me out of the story each time.
Even given the uninteresting sex scene, I still gave this story 3.5 stars. I will definitely enjoy listening to this story every once in awhile. It was cute and sweet. And sometimes, it’s nice to read or listen to a story where nothing bad happens.
One note, though – to the author B. G. Thomas, you left gentleman Gabe without a partner. That’s sad, isn’t it? I think you should write one about him. *hint hint* :)
eBook Formats:
Audio Formats:

0 comments:

Post a Comment