11 January 2015

The Careless Spotlight!

Phillipe wants more in life than what the slums have to offer. His father survived war and chaos to reach sanctuary and now works hard in the mines to ensure that his only son has everything the 'better-half' take for granted. Each wish fulfilled has come at the expense of his father's health, however, and now it's Phil turn to provide.

In search of work, Phil ventures from his humble home in the Lower-Levels for the wealthier upper area of the underground. What he finds is a suicidal nobleman hellbent on putting them both into an early grave. The noble reluctantly takes Phil on as a bodyguard. For the first time in Phil's life, he sees hope, and he's clinging to it. But how can he possibly guard someone looking to die?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23297340-substance
To be honest, I’m not a sci-fi reader.  There is only 1 other author that writes this genre that I like, but I am always willing to take the chance with seeing if I would enjoy a different authors take on this genre.
I got this short mainly because it was a freebie and I wanted to give Ms. Forge had created.  I was pleasantly shocked to find out that once I started it, I just couldn’t put this book down!  The characters drew me in and the storyline is definitely one of a kind.
There was a lot that was happening during the story, but I did feel as though it was very easy to follow along with.
I was also happy to know that even though this is book 2.5, you don't have to read the previous books to be able to fully grasp what is happening.
I can say that this book certainly did peek my interest in this series and I can’t wait to start reading more!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
19 year old Galen has a lot on his plate. In the limited-resourced underground-as an only-child-his sole purpose in life is to take over his family's financially burdensome estate, thus replacing his parents. The only way he has out is to have a child of his own, and wait 20 years for that child to replace him as well. He longs to just disappear into the underground and be forgotten, but his parents have put in their 20 years, and so should he... A golden opportunity falls into Galen's lap, or rather, falls into his servitude-a sickly super-natural at the end of his rope-Osbourne. Osbourne seems violent, damaged and simple-minded, but his coveted power could solve all Galen's woes. Galen must choose to either take the easy way out, or do something unheard of; set a blood-thirsty super-natural with a grudge free.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18481126-erosions?ac=1
I started reading this book almost right after I finished Substance because I loved that story so much, I couldn’t wait to go back to the beginning and spend some more time in the world that Ms. Forge had created.
I still had the same thrill when I first started this book, and that did end up carrying me through the book itself.  I thought that what Ms. Forge had done with the characters, what all she had put them through even though it was so … cruel, it added so much to the story.  There was so much going on in the story that if I hadn’t been paying as close of attention as I was, I might have gotten lost and a confused. 
I felt like the characters of this story were just amazing. The twist with the twins and the “secret” that one was holding back was interesting as well.  The twists and turns kept me on my toes and wanting to find out what was going to happen next.
Now the reason that I gave it a 4 star instead of 5, is that I had problems with were there were some things that were mentioned that were a bit confusing, but it was all part of the world building that Ms. Forge had done.  Did it add to the story? Yes, but I had to go back and re-read a few spots to fully understand what was going on and why.
I will say that I will be sure to keep an eye out on more books in this series because for some reason it has caught my attention enough that I enjoyed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment