19 February 2015

#Throwback: The Replacement Guitarist

 Blaze Shinozuka has two goals: get a job as a guitarist and lose his virginity. At an audition for a famous pop star, he draws the attention of celebrity manager Jason Stockton—and their instant attraction sends his world careening off its axis just as he is thrust into the gritty world of rock 'n' roll.

Straight-laced music manager Jason Stockton is always professional and never dips his pen in the company ink. But there is something about Blaze that leaves him wanting what he shouldn't. The guitarist’s exotic beauty and compelling innocence is a temptation Jason can’t resist.

After one lie in the national media pushes them apart, Blaze must decide whether he will trust Jason, a man he shouldn’t touch, let alone love. The cutthroat, jealous world of rock 'n' roll, has chewed up and spit out the toughest musicians, and Blaze vows he will be the last man standing, even after the music stops.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18393807-the-replacement-guitarist?ac=1
This is a story about a guitar player Blaze, who has just picked up his first real gig playing for a singer, Cassie. And Jason her manager, Jason is a few years older than Blaze but because of a college relationship that ended badly. He has shied away from anything longer then a one night stand. Blaze, is still a virgin but has known for a while that he is gay. Blaze has been called to an interview for Cassie’s tour band and Jason is the one listening. There is an insta-love, lust, attraction between the two that is acted upon pretty quickly and frequently.  However, Cassie seems to have an issue with this and tries to stop the whole affair. Can Jason and Blaze see through her deception?

This was my first Lori Toland book, and I really enjoyed it. It’s heavy on the sex but also manages to give us plot, a little depth of characters and a story line that flows nicely. My big issue was that both MC’s were quick to judge each other and then quick to forgive. Little less sex and little more communication would be nice.
This book had me interested merely from the book title and then even more so when I discovered from the blurb that it was a m/m romance novel. However once I started reading the book I was not as impressed.  This is not a bad book it just did not live up to my expectations.  There were a few things that were different but overall it was a very formulaic public figure romance novel. 

This book is difficult for me to review because while I loved the characters I just was not impressed with their story. I love reading romance novels but I prefer for them to be creative twists on the normal formulas or as original as possible.  While I am sure many people will be able to accept and enjoy this book I wanted something a little deeper and more original.

0 comments:

Post a Comment