08 March 2015

The Fear of Surrender (The Hampton Road Club #3) by Morticia Knight

 Master Thomas sees a submissive man aching for surrender if only Linus can be convinced not to fear The Hampton Road Club.

Linus never wants to return to Hampton Road after being attacked by a Master there. Even though he aches for the attention of Master Thomas—the one who he’d originally wanted—he isn’t sure he can ever trust another Master not to abuse him again.

Thomas is furious with himself for not protecting the beautiful young submissive whose company he’d enjoyed on a few occasions. He’s relieved that there have been some recent changes to help protect the men who offer themselves at the sadomasochism club. It’s about time to bring Hampton Road into the progressive age of the 1920’s. Now that the new rules are in place, perhaps he can woo Linus into giving him a chance.

As Thomas goes out of his way to be kind to him, Linus wonders if he’s misjudged the Master. He’s still not sure if there’s a future for them. What if he never wants to surrender to another man? When he allows Thomas to teach him the joys of Dominance and submission, Linus discovers that he not only wants to surrender, he wants to be claimed permanently. If only Thomas’ old life doesn’t come back to haunt them and destroy their chance of being together forever.

Reader Advisory: This book contains scenes of figging and piercing.

Publisher's Note: This book is best read in sequence as part of a series but can be read as a standalone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24528049-the-fear-of-surrender?ac=1
While most of the books that Ms. Knight writes can be read as a standalone, I don’t really feel that that is the case with this book because there is so much that happens to Linus in book 2, The Rules of Love, that I feel it would be better if you read that one first, and then started this book.

Now that that is out of the way, onto my review!  I have enjoyed this series since I started it, and this book was one that I was really looking forward to because of what Linus went through in The Rules of Love.  I do have to say that I had my own ideas of who Linus should end up with because of what had happened, and while in the beginning I wasn’t completely sure of how Thomas was going to work through everything with Linus.  To be honest, I really didn’t like him because of what a jerk he was.  But as the story progressed, I ended up liking him a bit more and more.

There was a fair amount of drama that took place in this book, and to me who doesn’t usually enjoy a lot of drama, it actually worked out very well in the long run.  I really enjoyed the strength that Linus discovered he had, and when he realized the friends that he had as well.  It was such an enjoyment following along in the whole process, and being able to “see” when he realized what it was that he wanted.  And how he was willing to take the steps to achieve that.

Overall, I did love this book and I really can’t wait to read the next book in the series!

1 comment: