13 June 2014

Girl of Rage Tour Stop!

Four days ago, Andrea Thompson agreed to fly to the United States to help her sister Carrie. Four days ago, everything changed. 

Now Andrea is lost and on the run. Dylan Paris is missing. Julia and Crank Wilson are under investigation by the Internal Revenue Service. The Thompson family is scattered and in danger, and Andrea’s very identity may hold the key to unlock decades of buried secrets.

Andrea, the youngest member of the Thompson clan, sets out on a search to find answers. Who is attacking her family? Who is trying to kill her and why? 

As Andrea seeks her answers, everything she thought she knew about her family will be turned upside down.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20600377-girl-of-rage
I think it’s a mark of a good book when the only thing you can think to do after you finish it is release a torrent of expletives.  Girl of Rage inspired that in me. 
This book picks up, thankfully, right at the cliffhanger that Girl of Lies left us with.  Whew!  Andrea, the youngest of the Thompson sisters, agreed to fly to the US to help her sister Carrie 4 days ago.  And in that 4 days the entire world has been turned upside down. Her life is being threatened; her family is under attack in various ways as well.  She wants answers.  Hell, I want answers!!!
I’m going to try to keep this review clean, because the sheer strength of Charles’ work demands that this book be given a kick bootie (see?) review.  My heart was in my throat throughout this entire book.  I could not put it down and finished it in less than a day.  We find out a lot more about the history of the family, particularly Richard and Adelina’s history, which I personally found intriguing and surprising.  It’s so much darker than I suspected. This installment of the series shed so much more light on Adelina, who I have hated throughout the entire Thompson sisters series, but now feel as if I’m beginning to understand and pity.
This is a complicated story, but I think the way that Charles tells it, through multiple POV and flashbacks keeps it engaging and easy to follow even if there are many players and many different points in time discussed.  This man simply has a gift for storytelling that I don’t think can be learned or imitated.  No matter what emotional state I’m in after I finish one of his books, I always (between expletives) think “Damn…that was good”.  Because simply, he’s an artist and his tools are words and they always, ALWAYS move me.
Overall, this book is awesome.  I cannot wait to read the third, nor can I wait for more stories about my favorite Thompson sisters.  5 stars.
She didn’t say anything else, as a man in an off-the-rack grey suit walked into the room.
He set a briefcase on the table in front of him and said, “Mrs. Wilson, have a seat.”
A woman followed him, also in a grey suit. She had prematurely white hair, but unlined skin.
“And you are?”
The man nodded and gave a half smile. “I’m Wolfram Schmidt. Special Agent, Internal Revenue Service, Criminal Investigation Division. This is my partner, Emma Smith.”
His voice was smooth as butter, his accent odd, part Texas, part eastern European.
Julia stood there, frozen in place. Internal Revenue Service? “I’m sorry … what? Who did you say you were?”
“IRS, Mrs. Wilson. Criminal Investigation Division. Please … have a seat.”
Julia moved on autopilot, sliding into the seat across from … what was his name? Wolfram Schmidt. Who inflicts that kind of name on their child? “What can I do for you, Mr. Schmidt?”
He smiled and slid a business card across the table toward her. “Mrs. Wilson. First, I want to make it clear, you are not under criminal investigation at this time.”
“I’m sorry?” she said, suddenly alarmed. At this time? “Why would I think I would be under investigation?”

Charles Sheehan-Miles has been a soldier, computer programmer, short-order cook and non-profit executive, and is the author of several fiction and non-fiction books, including the indie bestsellers Just Remember to Breathe and Republic: A Novel of America's Future. Charles and his partner Andrea Randall live and write together in South Hadley, Massachusetts.

You're also invited to join the Remember to Breathe Facebook group 
Girl of Rage (Rachel's Peril)
AMAZON | B&N
Girl of Lies (Rachel's Peril)
AMAZON | ITUNES | KOBO | B&N | SMASHWORDS

0 comments:

Post a Comment