20 August 2014

The Island by Lisa Henry

 Shaw is in Fiji to sell a stolen painting to the crime boss, Vornis. It will be the deal of a lifetime, if Shaw can pull it off. But then Vornis has to parade his latest toy around in front of him--a captured DEA agent whose time is running out. It's none of Shaw's business, and it doesn't matter that under any other circumstances Lee would be exactly Shaw's type: he's young, he's hot, and he might even have a personality if they hadn't beaten it out of him. Too bad there's no way Lee is getting off the island. Too bad there's nothing Shaw can do for him. And too bad there are some lines that even Shaw won't cross.

Keeping his hands off Lee proves harder than he thinks, but Shaw's not stupid enough to fall for the tortured captive of a dangerous crime boss, is he? If he did, it wouldn't be just his job he would be risking--it would be his life.

Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual situations, graphic language, and material that some readers may find objectionable: male/male sexual practices, violence, flashback to sexual violence.

Publisher's warning: Readers with a history of rape or sexual abuse may find elements of this story disturbing
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13409189-the-island?ac=1

This has to be one of the most twisted, disturbing, interesting, can’t put it down but I’m afraid to turn the page, books that I have read in a very long time.  I couldn’t stop reading it even though parts of me wanted too.  I HAD to find out what was going to happen, I had to know what the deal was.  I couldn’t just stop reading it because then I knew it would torture me even more not knowing what was going on. 
There really isn’t anything in detail I can talk about when it comes to this book because there are some massive important things that happen, and I don’t want to give anything away.  I can say though that Ms. Henry has a way with words that was able to create these characters to where even the evil ones, you couldn’t help but get into their heads a bit while reading.  And while that was an amazing skill, it was also very freaky as well! 
Lee and Shaw were some amazing characters.  The strength that each of them has, for completely different reasons, is amazing in and of its own.  It was hard NOT to connect with Lee in some degree and I kept cheering for him throughout the story.
Overall, I would say that if you are looking for a complete mind-twist of a book, then you should really check this one out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment