13 September 2014

Twisted by Emma Chase

There are two kinds of people in the world. The ones who look first, and the ones who leap. I’ve always been more of a looker. Cautious. A planner. That changed after I met Drew Evans. He was so persistent. So sure of himself – and of me.

But not all love stories end happily ever after. Did you think Drew and I were going to ride off into the sunset? Join the club. Now I have to make a choice, the most important of my life. Drew already made his –in fact, he tried to decide for the both of us. But you know that’s just not my style. So I came back to Greenville. Alone. Well, sort of alone....

What I've come to realize is that old habits die hard and sometimes you have to go back to where you began, before you can move ahead.

TWISTED picks up two years after Tangled’s end, and is told from Kate’s POV.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17977710-twisted?ac=1

I am absolutely delighted to be spending the weekend with Drew and Kate. As characters go, they’re pretty freaking cool. I loved being in Drew’s head while reading Tangled and Holy Frigging Matrimony and was looking forward to getting to know Kate just as well. Two years have passed since Tangled, and while I knew I was in for a bumpy ride based on the blurb, I wasn’t prepared for the loop de loop rollercoaster ride Ms. Chase threw me on.

Kate’s pregnancy insured emotional upheaval – nope, that’s not a spoiler because if you didn’t figure that out from the blurb you don’t need to be reading the book. But the epic level of misunderstandings that lead to Drew and Kate’s separation is freaking heartbreaking. For two people whose profession requires clear and concise communication, their failure to communicate clearly during their relationship-destroying argument speaks to the level of hurt and devastation they both felt. No one knows how to hurt you more thoroughly than the person who loves you – they know your strengths and weaknesses and know what weapons to use and precisely where to aim them to do the most damage.

For me, the part that makes a book enjoyable is the journey. I pick up certain books expecting a happy ending, so knowing the ending isn’t as important as what the couple endures to get there. Twisted is a perfect example of this. I knew Drew and Kate would find their way back to one another (or at least I really hoped they would). But it is the journey of self-discovery that Kate must take that made this such an enjoyable read for me. Despite how she came off in Tangled, Kate really doesn’t have it all together and she learned a LOT about herself and what she is capable of when all the chips are down. Twisted is a great addition to the Tangled series and I am looking forward to reading Tamed next because I love Dee.

And for all you Drew fans, don’t worry because Ms. Chase was nice enough to let us back into his head for Twisted’s Epilogue.
By day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother of two who resides in a small, rural town in New Jersey. By night she is a keyboard crusader, toiling away the hours to bring her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine.

Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment