06 October 2014

A Most Unlikely Countess by V.L. Locey

Painfully shy Liz Argon probably shouldn`t be dreaming of Veikko Aho, star goalie for the Philadelphia Wildcats. As she works side by side with 'The Count of the Crease' on his memoirs, she finds herself falling for the handsome goaltender. His tender ways with her and her mentally fragile mother are slowly claiming her heart. If only Veikko wasn`t already engaged to a woman far better suited to move in to 'The Count`s' world. In book two of the To Love a Wildcat series, we`ll see if a glass slipper can survive in the rough and tumble world of professional ice hockey.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21844271-a-most-unlikely-countess?ac=1

I am a sucker for a sports romance, and increasingly I love for those romances to feature hockey.  It just seems like the perfect sport for really rough but sweet alphas…and this is exactly what you get in this book.
We met Liz in book one of this series.  She is a painfully shy obituary writer and she is completely smitten with the goalie of the Philadelphia Wildcats, Veikko Aho.  When she finds herself in a pinch, she signs on to help write his memoirs.  Will she be able to resist Veikko’s pull, even when she has to be with him constantly for whole month in order to write the book?
This book is just a really sweet love story.  Veikko is awesome.  He is this big, rough guy (hello…professional goalie!) but he has a very deep sweet side and that comes out when it comes to Liz.  What throws a wrench in the potential between Liz and Veikko, who so obviously belong together, is Veikko’s fiancรฉ.  Ugh.  She’s terrible! 
What I really found myself liking about this book was the pace.  It’s a slow building book and I loved watching the friendship between Veikko and Liz grow and deepen.  They are two really great characters who you just want to have a happy ending.
I will warn you that this book does not have a lot of sex in it.  I mean, I still enjoyed it even without the explicitness I usually like, but I think it’s fair to warn some of you more hard core smut lovers out there that this book is pretty tame in that department.  But still worth the read, in my opinion.
Overall, I like this series and this book was a good read.  4 stars.

That was fabulous! I love, love, love Lizzie. She might be a shy and withdrawn introvert around most people, but she has a wit that is sharp and sarcastic and kept me laughing throughout the book. Her internal monologue was just as funny as her external dialogue. While she might allow some people to walk all over her, they better watch out when they are inappropriate toward those close to her because she defends them with vigor. That she is in lust with a six-foot-plus Viking god just makes her that much more relatable. Her shyness is painfully hilarious when faced with said Viking god aka hockey goalie Veikko Aho. Case in point, “My brain was screaming for someone in my cranial language department to make words. Obviously they were on a coffee break. Some weird gurgle happened in my throat.”

As for the Viking god, Veikko is HOT. As much as I liked the way he treated Lizzie, I loved the way he was with Lizzie’s mom. It spoke volumes about his character and made is so easy to fall for him … Lizzie never stood a chance. Of course there’s the icing on the cake … the sex was superb. Ms. Locey wrote some panty-melting scenes between Lizzie and Veikko. I’d like to order me up my own Viking god hockey player. While there was not a lot of external drama, what did occur made my heart hurt for Lizzie. Granted, after reading Pink Pucks & Power Plays I expected a happy ending so I wasn’t ready to fling myself off a roof along with Lizzie, but I still hurt for her.

A Most Unlikely Countess is a great sports romance that kept me laughing throughout the entire read. Ms. Locey’s writing flowed smoothly and I enjoyed spending time in Lizzie’s head – again, killer inner monologues. I liked the first book in the series, but I absolutely LOVED this book. While I think it’s going to be tough to out-do this one, I am looking forward to reading O Captain, My Captain – Maggie and Derrick’s story should be a blast too.
V.L. Locey loves worn jeans, belly laughs, anything romantic, Greek mythology, New York Rangers hockey,  comic books and coffee. (Not necessarily in that order.) She shares her life with her husband, her daughter, one dog, two cats, a steer named after a famous N.H.L. goalie,  a pig with the same moniker as a famous President, and a flock of assorted domestic fowl.
V.L. is a self-published and conventionally published author. She is a proud Torquere Press and Secret Cravings Publishing author. When not writing romantic tales, she can be found enjoying her day with her menagerie in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania with a cup of fresh java in hand, writing, or cheering on her beloved New York Rangers. She can also be found online on Facebook, Twitter, and GoodReads.

0 comments:

Post a Comment