20 October 2014

Courted by Discipline Release Day!

 When Kathy Bretherton moved to Hyacinth at the age of eighteen, she looked forward to living amongst people who believed in traditional values like her family did. She did not expect to become part of the Hyacinth Courting pool and the object of interest of every man looking for a wife.

Alexander Covington was the most eligible bachelor in town and he wanted her. For Kathy, who grew up in a traditional household where the man was the head of the home and her and her mother a committed homemaker, falling in love with him was relatively easy. Following his lead and accepting his discipline was the life-changing part.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23358366-courted-by-discipline

This book is by far so left field from what I normally read, that I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it.  But now? I’m so glad that I took the jump and read this story because I can’t believe how great it was, and I really can’t wait to read more from this series in the future.

The story that we get to follow along with is Kathy and her family’s move to Hyacinth, which is a town completely different from what she is used too.  First off, I thought that Ms. Cariad did a great job at Kathy’s attitude towards a move and having to get settled in a new town again.  Especially with her age, if it would have been just an “easy” move, then it wouldn’t have been as realistic.  I really loved the slow introduction into the town and what their lives are like for those who have lived there their whole lives.  Ms. Cariad dropped enough little hints as to peak my interest, but still left me in the dark and wondering what the big secret was.

I thought that the overall flow of the story was really well done.  I didn’t feel as though anything was rushed, but we were still able to get all the information needed in order to follow along with Kathy and Alexander’s courting.  All of the highlight points were met, and I thought it was really well written.

I will say that if you are looking for a really good romance that has no sex in it, then this is a series for you to check into.  Even though it is a Domestic Discipline book, that doesn’t overtake the story and it is done in a great balance with the rest of the book.

“Miss Bretherton, if you would like to enter this courting, please sign next to the X.”

The room became incredibly silent after he put the pen down and Kathy looked down at the paper. This was it. Just a few weeks ago she had no idea what a courting was and here she was being asked to enter one. Could she do it? Yes, she could. Considering all their rules, she actually felt comfortable. The real question was did she want to? The answer came quickly as she glanced up into Xander’s calm face. Yes, she did. If things didn’t work out, well, it would make her senior year interesting. And she could leave for college right after so as not to get any fallout from it.

College. Gnawing on her lower lip she looked Xander right in the eyes. “What if I told you I wanted to go to college?”

“I’d say which college and where so I could find us a house.” The serious expression on his face convinced her he was telling her the truth.

“And what if I decided upon college graduation that I wanted to work outside the home?”

“We would discuss it but if that was what you wanted? I’m all for it. Mom runs her own floral business. Just because we enter into the kind of relationship we both want does not make you a lesser person, Kathy. In fact, one of the things I admire about you is the fact you did not grow up in Hyacinth and yet still believe in the things I need. I don’t want a pushover for a wife. I never have.” His father grunted and nodded, smiling. “I can’t even promise you we would live in Hyacinth forever. I loved Chicago and part of me would like to move back there. But if things worked out between us? That would be our decision. Ours. Not mine.”

The distinction finalized her decision and with a flourish, she signed her name on the line.

There was another moment of silence before Xander stood up as his father picked up the signed contract. Xan stepped over the coffee table and reached for Kathy’s hand. Feeling like she was floating, she allowed him to pull her to her feet. One of his hands cupped her cheek while the other pressed lightly against her back, pulling her closer. Leaning down, his lips brushed lightly against hers, making her tremble.

“Thank you,” he whispered in her ear.

Leaning her head against his chest, she hid her smile. Her first kiss. Xander just gave her her first kiss. And it was wonderful.


Hyacinth, Washington is all about old-fashioned values. In Hyacinth words like trust, honor, and kindness aren't just buzzwords. Hyacinth is a community built on tradition and trust, where men are the head of the home and women are encouraged to follow their lead.
Each story in the series is of a young woman (18-20) and her struggle to figure out who she is in this little town while at the same time going through Hyacinth's old-fashioned courting system. On their way to meet, get to know, and finally marry their princes, these heroines grow in ways they and their town never expected.

Bree enjoys good books with great characters. While she may be an adult, her favorite memories are from her teenage years reading inspirational romance with girls just like her and strong heroes. That's one of the reasons she's written In Hyacinth, a series of Courting Romances.



Courting Romance - where contemporary romance meets traditional values.



0 comments:

Post a Comment