21 April 2015

Embracing Sin (Shadows, #4) by Brenda Cothern

 The Tampa nightclub Shadows, in Ybor City, has been more than just a place of employment for Sin. For the last year and a half she has waited tables at Shadows and has not had to look over her shoulder for the destroyers who constantly searched out her kind. Hidden among the others who were not 'norm', she knew she had finally found a home and the family she had never had before.

However, her boss Alec's upcoming wedding has brought an influx of guests to the club; a destroyer among them.

This book contains adult sexual situations and is intended for readers of legal age in the country in which they reside.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16240321-embracing-sin
Embracing Sin was an excellent addition to the Shadows series. Not only do we get to find out what kind of being Sin is, we also get to attend Alec and Kira’s wedding!!! Sin’s identity eluded me more than those characters featured in the previous books. Her ability to incite lust in her potential bedmates reminded me somewhat of a succubus, but because she didn’t feed from her partners that eliminated that possibility. Even meeting Cham, the Destroyer (which we learned was what Sin’s kind called angels), didn’t really clue me in. Nope. I am ashamed to admit that it wasn’t until Cham’s brother Kiel labeled her that I got it. I mean, why else would we have angels in a book if not to balance out demons?

Yep, that’s right, Sin is a lust demon. Even though she’s not hurting anyone, it’s an angel’s duty to rid the world of demons. However Cham sees his duty a little differently – rather than banishing the demon back to hell, he attempts to “rehabilitate” them by teaching them about love. As much as I loved this concept, I didn’t realize how important Cham’s approach was until Kiel arrived on the scene and decided to destroy the lust demon, sight unseen – hence the Destroyer moniker. Kiel’s attitude actually surprised me because of how much it differed from Cham’s genuine interest in getting to know Sin, and boy did they ever get to know each other! Good and Evil in bed together equals sinfully hot sex scenes. But when an angel and a demon find their other half in each other, that’s a love story even better than the hot sex.

I will say that it still baffles me that the employees of Shadows can work together for a year or more and never suspect that the others aren’t human. While I’m sure that Alec knows which of his employees are norms and which aren’t, there seems to be an automatic assumption among the staff that all new hires are norms. Usually this makes for some rather entertaining reveals. However, when Kiel’s arrival sent Sin into escape mode, the reveal was not the least bit funny as Nick was not only confronted with Sin’s true form, but also with a blast of lust that nearly caused him to rape Sin – at least that was the scene Jordy encountered. I have to say that even as great as the wedding was, how intense the battle between Cham and Kiel was, how heartbreaking Cham’s sacrifice was, and how heartwarming the end was, the scene I probably enjoyed most of all was when Kira put Kiel in his place – there was just something about itty, bitty, underestimated Kira handing Kiel his ass that I REALLY enjoyed. As I have previously read Shattered Illusions, I must now wait and hope that Ms. Cothern writes another installment in the Shadows series. Until then, I can enjoy rereads of the series when the need to visit the Shadows nightclub hits me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment