21 June 2014

V-Card Tour Stop!

banner
Jennifer Nolan has been unlucky when it comes to love; even more unfortunate when it comes to sex. In fact, the twenty year-old college junior is about to enter her senior year still carrying her v-card. All she wants is to be with that special someone without it resulting in a trip to the emergency room, runaway office supplies, or being scarred for life by someone’s weird fetishes. With several botched attempts under her belt, she begins to fear she’ll end up a lonely spinster or a crazy cat lady.
With only 60 days until her 21st birthday, Jennifer is determined to lose her virginity once and for all. Little does she know that her mission will lead her down a path toward love. She never expects that her mission will lead her to a discovery of what true womanhood is, and where true and lasting love begins. 

New adult, when done right, can be a fun read.  When done poorly, it can suck the life out of you one word at a time.  I’m happy to report that I not only finished this book alive, but enjoyed it!
Jennifer is a 20 year old college student intent on losing her virginity before her 21st birthday.  She has attempted to lose the v card before, but through a hilarious chain of events that seemed reminiscent of “The 40 Year Old Virgin”, it never quite worked out.  When she meets Dain at a party, she thinks he could be the one.  However, what she thinks is just going to be a casual hookup grows into more, as they get to know one another.  Will Jennifer not only lose her v card, but find love too?
This book is pretty much what I consider New Adult romance to be all about.  Fluffy, fun, not too serious or too in depth.  It’s a light, fun read.  I thought that Jennifer’s experiences were not only hilarious (well, some of them) but also relatable.  Even as a woman in her late 30’s, I could relate to Jennifer.  In fact, it made me think back fondly on my college days, which for me is part of the fun of reading NA books.
My only criticism of this book is that the plot was somewhat predictable.  However, it made up for it in the freshness of the author’s voice.  This book is put together seamlessly, with a well-constructed (even if predictable) plot as well as great character development.  I was pretty much hooked on it from the beginning and devoured it in less than a day. 
Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  It was fun, funny and a quick read.  For a new author, I was very impressed and look forward to reading more of her work in the future! 4 stars.

I just finished V-card and I really liked it. Jenn is a 20 year old virgin. Not by choice mind you but some seriously funny accidents (not funny at the time I'm sure) have happened when she has tried to lose her "v-card" so now she has set up a timeline.  It's two months to her birthday and she will lose it no matter what.  She is now on a mission. Here comes Dain. He is rich and funny and someone that she really likes and they both enjoy each other's company.  This causes tension with Luke her roommate and good friend.  He is not digging this new guy and he definitely makes it known.  Jenn believes it is just now that she is taken he now wants her and that is not what she wants. Does she choose Dain who makes her feel special or does she choose Luke who makes her question everything?  You will have to read and see.
Wow. What a good read. It was quick but it packed a big punch and I just didn't want to let it end. I was hooked from the get go. I will be honest. I was skeptical. But I ended up pleasantly surprised only cause this is a new author for me and you always take a risk.  I'm so glad I jumped on it. 
I loved all the characters. I didn't know what to think of them at first. They all come from different walks of life. Christian and Chloe are rich. Luke, Jenn and Kinsley are not. But they grew on me.  They all had their purpose but it got me so interested that I would love more to come from this. 
This was a good spin on the finally realizing I love you type of story. Was it predictable? In some ways but I enjoyed it all the same.   
You have to go out and get this one.  I enjoyed it. You might too!
“It sucks when your pretend date ditches you for a real one.” I looked up to find Dain in front of me, blocking Christian and Amber from my view. He was so tall I had to crane my neck up to look at him. I didn’t mind; the view was spectacular.
I shrugged. “Yeah, but what are you gonna do?” I said, my tongue finally coming unglued from the roof of my mouth. He smiled and my insides quivered. “It’s okay, we’re roommates. I’ll just do gross things to him while he sleeps.”
He laughed again and I smiled in response. “You could do that. Or,” he leaned in, so close I could smell his cologne, “you could get even.”
My mouth fell open. I was a fish again, gasping for air and flopping around for something witty to say. Instead, he got, “Get even?”
He nodded. “Yeah. You know, find some wildly attractive guy to be your new date and piss him off.”
“That’s a good idea,” I said. “Know any wildly attractive guys?”
“If you’ll settle for extremely witty and tall, then there’s always me,” he said. Him. On a biscuit. Or covered in chocolate. Or running shirtless, drenched with sweat. Or … I swallowed past the lump in my throat.
“I guess you’ll do,” I said with a shrug.
“Good. Why don’t you tell me about Jenn?”
“Um, okay.” He placed his hand at the small of my back, turning me toward the little dock jutting out over the water. A sleek speedboat bobbed on the surface. I concentrated on trying not to trip as we stepped out onto the dock. “Well, I’m a Nursing student. I’m in my junior year and I want to be a Pediatric nurse after I graduate.”
“Pediatrics, huh? You must like kids or something.”
I nodded. “Everybody likes kids.”
“So you must want to have them someday.”
“Doesn’t everybody?” He shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe someday. I’m more focused on my career right now than anything else.”
“What do you do?” “Well, I just graduated with a business degree last year,” he said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. “I just started an entry level position at my dad’s company.”
“Wow,” I said, eyebrows raised. “Color me impressed.”
He laughed. “Not that impressive. It’s grunt work in the mail room, but you have to start somewhere. My dad started there and now he’s CEO. I could have gotten a job higher up, but I wanted to take my lumps like everybody else. Couldn’t have everybody whispering behind my back that Daddy did it for me.”
I wasn’t lying about being impressed. A guy who could have gotten any job he wanted through his dad, choosing to work his way up from the bottom. This guy became more intriguing by the second.
“That’s ambitious,” I stated. “More so than Nursing.”
“Hey,” he said, his hand coming out of his pocket to touch my bare shoulder. That touch caused my blood to sing in my veins. Electricity arced across my skin. “There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be a nurse. It’s a hard, noble job. Besides, someone has to hold the little brats down while they get their shots.”
“You are so not funny,” I replied, but I was laughing all the same.
“No, but you are,” he said. “Look at you all mad at me. It’s cute.”
I could feel my face getting hot. Cute? I’d take it. For him, I’d wear cute like a badge of honor. This was going well. I was flirting without making too big a fool of myself. Dain was smiling, and not a fake, forced smile either. He kept touching me—my arm, my shoulder. Things were going perfectly. Until I took a step backward and went plummeting off the side of the dock.
1 X $25 Gift Card to eBook store of winner's choice (grand prize)
2 X Signed paperbacks of V-Card - USA Only
10 X Swag packs: autographed v-card postcard and magnet - International

clip_image016Ever since she first read books like Chronicles of Narnia or Goosebumps, Alicia has been a lover of mind-bending fiction. Wherever imagination takes her, she is more than happy to call that place her home. With seven Fantasy and Science Fiction titles under her belt, Alicia strives to write multicultural characters and stories that touch the heart. V-Card is her first Contemporary Romance.
The mother of three and wife to an Army sergeant, she loves chocolate, coffee, and of course good books. When not writing, you can usually find her with her nose in a book, shopping for shoes and fabulous jewelry, or spending time with her loving family.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment