11 August 2013

Out From Under, By Selene Chardou

"I have always been strong, independent and wanted a life that belonged to me. It's the very reason why I chose to attend Stanford because it is away from the small-town life that seems more Twin Peaks than charming. Secrets are a dangerous commodity and Pine Bluff has them in spades. So do my parents, and the dirtiest secret of all is my brother, Trey. Sergeant at Arms for the Demon's Bastards, a criminal, a felon, and perhaps the catalyst for the tragedy that destroyed my life just days before I was supposed to leave for college.

"Now I am on the run because my life is in danger and I could be next. I don't want to live my whole life looking over my shoulder and I don't want to live my life shrouded in despair. Anxiety has me in a death grip, unable to let go. I pop Xanax to get through the day and were it not for my famous cousin, I would probably be dead already.

"My name is Trista Lennon, and I am tired of being afraid."

Linx Carter never thought he could help anyone when he could barely help himself. He is hanging on by a thread after a tough, six-month Gods of Rock Tour with his band, Winter's Regret, and Scarlet Fever. He has a greedy ex-wife, two sons and all he wants is to put the pieces of his life back together.

Linx knows there is something special about Trista from the moment they meet. She's wounded, in desperate need of a friend yet feminine, feisty and no one's charity case. She is the strongest woman he has ever known.

Through their friendship, they will find the strength to heal themselves and love one another but a feud between two gangs is brewing. Trista is caught in the crossfire, and by proxy, so is Linx. What they discover might not only cost them the love they have for one another but their lives too. 

Due to mature subject matter, explicit language and adult situations, this novel is recommended for those 17+.


Selene has become one of my favorite authors. Her story writing ability was just amazing too me and I was drawn into her books from when I first read Falling Into Lust. But as much as I enjoyed that series, this review isn't about them. This is about the spin off book, Out From Under.


Right off the bat, one thing that I did enjoy was how Selene set this book up. Instead of just jumping into the story at the halfway point she gave us a lot of background information. While we were introduced to Linx and Trista in the previous books, we didn't know a lot about them. That is taken care of in this book on many levels.


Trista's story was one that brought tears to my eyes at some parts, and made me want to hit someone at other parts. The things that she had been through in her life was just amazing, yet she was still pushing forward with her life. She shows a lot of courage and strength during the course of this book.


Linx was just.. Linx? He seemed like your typical rock and roll star, but we were able to learn about the real him, the man behind the rock star persona. Being able to find out what had happened in his past that caused him to be the way he is now was just a great thing to uncover. The things that Linx did do to be able to help Trista showed the compassion that he does have, but tries to keep under covers.


The way that this story ended up going, I didn't see coming. Trust me, I was upset that I was so caught off guard, but it was an amazing story. I completely enjoyed the ending and I couldn't agree more with how Selene wrote this book.


Once again, Selene blows my socks off with another great book and I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out!


 

B&N 


Other books by Selene:
Click HERE to read my review of Falling Into Lust.
Click HERE to read my review of Falling Into Us.
Click HERE to read my review of Falling Into Love

0 comments:

Post a Comment